Recommended Dust

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

erazz

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 27, 2015
I'm currently using pellets as that’s what I have, but seeing everyone mention dust I must give it a try. Whats the most recommended and average cost? Also do you need to dampen it or anything, or essentially light it just like pellets?

Just take some pellets like a 1/4 to half cup add a couple table spoons water to them and stir. Wait 5-10 minutes and they will become dust or more like mud. Put on a paper plate and nuke for 20 sec stir and repeat till dry. Presto dust. Get it as dry as you can put in smoker tray light one end and you have smoke. Easy peasy.

I take it you have a tray as you can't burn dust in the tube. Take a couple handfuls of your pellets and put in coffee can or like with a little water. Let set a few minutes and then spread on sheet pan. Couple hrs in oven or smoker at 250° or so and you now have dust. I do it all the time, dust Burns better in my mailbox.

Interesting, I bought a TON of pellets, so I guess I’m covered lol. Yes, I have the tray, just did some Gouda. But going to give this a try with a new batch. Thanks!

Any difference in terms of how long it burns compared to pellets? Trying to determine how hunch to use for say a 2 hour smoke

With dust, a tray will last me about 6-7 hrs in my mailbox. Row and a half will get ya a good 2 hrs

I sometimes put a sheet pan full of soaked pellets in on top rack of MES to let dry while smoking other things. It does add a little extra moisture inside but doesn't hurt anything, vent wide open.

I bought this from The Sausage Maker. 5 pounds for 10.00

dust.jpg

Interesting, I bought a TON of pellets, so I guess I’m covered lol. Yes, I have the tray, just did some Gouda. But going to give this a try with a new batch. Thanks!

I'm hoping you're exaggerating when you say you bought a Ton of Pellets.
Because most people who buy Pellets by the ton are getting them cheap, because they are for their Pellet Stove Heater.
You really shouldn't use Heating pellets for smoking.

Bear

Last edited:
Reactions: PAS
I'm hoping you're exaggerating when you say you bought a Ton of Pellets.
Because most people who buy Pellets by the ton are getting them cheap, because they are for their Pallet Stove Heater.
You really shouldn't use Heating pellets for smoking.

Bear

I was hoping and thinking the same thing.

Haha, well by ton I mean I have 2 20lbs bags of pellets

Thanks for the tip on this, glad I didn’t buy any! I made about 7 cups worth, I’m pretty sure it’s dry but kind of hard tell

So is airflow the key to keeping the dust lit? I had all the vents open but could not keep the dust lit. There was pretty much no wind at all, but was able to keep the pellets lit without any issue

So is airflow the key to keeping the dust lit? I had all the vents open but could not keep the dust lit. There was pretty much no wind at all, but was able to keep the pellets lit without any issue

Somebody will be along to answer that question, if it's about the Tube.
I personally have never tried Dust in my Tube.

I use Dust in my AMNS, and Pellets in my AMNPS, and Air Flow is a big factor there.
Other factors:
Low Humidity in Smoker---No water in Pan.
How Well the Pellets/Dust is lit before putting it in the Smoker.
How Dry the Pellets/Dust is.
Where the Tray is in the Smoker.
What species are pellets & what company.

Bear

Last edited:

The pellets create heat which creates draft... You may have to warm the smoker a bit to start the draft...
I have added cold meat to my smoker and the draft quit... Had to turn on the heat to get the draft going again...

Dust is a little more picky to keep lit but you eventually will get it figured out. Do some one row test runs. FYI Dust is a VERY light smoke. 3-4x less smoke than pellets IMO. My personal preference for dust on cheese is like 5-6hrs. I use Todd's dust for cheese but I do make my own with a grinder for other smokes. Heads up, nuking pellets can cause odor. I have not tried it due to this.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky