• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Recipe for smoking a wild hog ham

bmoe52

Joined Apr 11, 2016
Hey folks,

I need some guidance in smoking a wild hog ham. The ones we shoot are mostly grain fed ( from the deer feeders) so not overly gamey . This one is approximately 10 lbs. bone in, and not cured. I'm not looking to end up with a "honey baked ham" just a good start to work with.

Thanks

Bill

crankybuzzard

Smoking Guru
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 4, 2014
For a ham flavor you'll need to cure it prior to smoking.  If you smoke it as is, it'll be like smoking a shoulder or butt.

indaswamp

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Apr 27, 2017

Some "authorities" recommend freezing wild hogs for somewhere around 30 days at temps below zero, to kill parasites.... 

For curing, I use a method, explained below, in my thread......

If you have any questions, I'm here.....

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/236375/ham-from-fresh-picnics-update-10-21-money
I'm about to start curing 2 small wild hog legs to put on the smoker to make sugar ham. The freezing must be below 5*F for 30 days in order to kill Trichinella round worms if present in the meat. Even if not frozen, once the meat is cooked past 137*INT, the parasites are killed.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.