Recent Firebox Mods w/ Pics

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

alelover

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Had trouble keeping my heat up so I made a few changes to my SFB. 1st I added a couple pieces of angle iron so the basket doesn't sit on the ash drawer.

84d33444_IMAG0155.jpg

Now my basket sits much higher hopefully increasing air flow thus allowing more heat and smoke to enter the smoke chamber.

020db3dc_IMAG0156.jpg

c625c8e0_IMAG0168.jpg

Now I can pull out all the ashes without moving the fire basket.

0b35d2c5_IMAG0157.jpg

As you can see I now have plenty of room for ash without restricting air flow.

94eeb467_IMAG0166.jpg

I'm adding 2 more vents to also increase air flow. Cordless drill died so I couldn't finish this part. Did get the holes drilled. I think it helped.

841cc928_IMAG0167.jpg

Also added some fire rope to the smoke chamber lid. Used red high temp RTV to stick it on with. No smoke got passed it. Now I need to go all the way around it so I can quit wasting tin foil.

c0c5e052_IMAG0160.jpg

Lookin good.  I don't think you will get much ash falling out of that basket tho.  That mesh is pretty small and I think it will hold most of the ash.

Looks like a great solution and you will be set up for longer smokes without reloads

Lookin good.  I don't think you will get much ash falling out of that basket tho.  That mesh is pretty small and I think it will hold most of the ash.
I agree with Matt on this one. The mesh is just to small to allow the ash to drop out easily. Personally I would use something with a mesh size approx. 1/2" square, maybe as low as 1/4" square. Give it a test burn, and if the ash isn't dropping out of the  basket I suggest you try drilling it out with a 1/2" bit - it will take time to do unless you have a drill press, but it should help the ash fall thru.

I tried it and it did burn much better than before. Got more heat with less charcoal. I was pleased. Yes ash does not fall through that readily but with a couple a quick shakes most of it falls through.  I thought of the same thing and am contemplating changing the bottom to a piece of expanded metal from Lowe's.

I tried it and it did burn much better than before. Got more heat with less charcoal. I was pleased. Yes ash does not fall through that readily but with a couple a quick shakes most of it falls through.  I thought of the same thing and am contemplating changing the bottom to a piece of expanded metal from Lowe's.
That sounds like a winning idea if you can replace the bottom easily! Glad the rest of it worked like expected though, grats!

The bottom has the slats bolted to it. The whole thing slides right up and out. I'll post a pic when I clean it out.
Nice thinking ahead!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Me, I would have done something stupid like having it welded on and impossible to change out without major work.... lol.
PDT_Armataz_01_05.gif

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky