Rec Tec or BGE?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
First I need to put a Lavalock gasket on the lid as it leaks pretty bad.
i
You got me thinking about doing the same so I emailed RecTec and just got a reply back...

"So the grill is meant to breathe, adding things like seals to the lid can create a lot of pressure in the barrel and you could see smoking from your hopper and in the worst case, a burn back. Some people have done it and the benefits in my opinion really don’t warrant the risk. "

Be carefully of that burnback if you do add the seal. I'd make sure it's away from the house.

You got me thinking about doing the same so I emailed RecTec and just got a reply back...

"So the grill is meant to breathe, adding things like seals to the lid can create a lot of pressure in the barrel and you could see smoking from your hopper and in the worst case, a burn back. Some people have done it and the benefits in my opinion really don’t warrant the risk. "

Be carefully of that burnback if you do add the seal. I'd make sure it's away from the house.

Interesting, I know someone who just bought an RT700 and added a seal to his when he first got it and has done quite a few cooks with it. It still has plenty of air circulation through the two vents at the top and the outlet for the grease to the pail, so I am not overly concerned. I did just order the seal so I don't have to install it just yet (it cost less than $20) as it will not be here until next week, and I am doing a cook today and sunday, so will see.

Thanks for the heads up though.

John

Last edited:
there was another thread about sealing the lid. Rec Tec is consistent in not recommending this be done and the performance should be just fine unsealed.

RE: cold cover - I use one on my RT700. works great!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky