• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
They rebrand another company. I don’t recall who the current partner is. Rumor a few years ago was Cookin Pellets. But I think that has changed.

Reactions: SmokinAl
I suspect there's a lot of rebranding in pellets. Maybe premium name brands like Lumberjack control quality and feedstock better than most, but with hundreds of mills making pellets, it's hard to believe that for any given brand, what you buy on the east coast is the same as what you buy on the west and what you bought last year (in terms of forest age/feedstocks is the same as what you'll buy now.

Reactions: SmokinAl
Looks great Al .

Thanks Buddy!

Looks delicious, I'm doing back ribs like this on Sunday. Hope to get 5 or 6 hours of smoke. I also can't wait to use up all of the RT pellets.

Thank you!
Good luck with the ribs, I would definitely use a water pan. I think it made a huge difference in this cook. The butt stayed moist the whole time with no spritzing.
Al

Just curious, does Rectec make their own pellets or just "rebrand" from another company's?

I’m sure they rebrand. Had I known that the RT pellets suck, I wouldn’t have ordered any with the 1250. But silly me thought if RT is selling pellets for their grills, you would think they would get the best. NOT!
Al

I suspect there's a lot of rebranding in pellets. Maybe premium name brands like Lumberjack control quality and feedstock better than most, but with hundreds of mills making pellets, it's hard to believe that for any given brand, what you buy on the east coast is the same as what you buy on the west and what you bought last year (in terms of forest age/feedstocks is the same as what you'll buy now.

All I know is that when the LJ hit the burn pot there was a noticeable difference in the smell of the smoke. The RT pellets smell more like heat, but the LJ smell just like my Lang did! I want to run this rig without any external smoke device & get good food.
Al

Reactions: bill1
I want to run this rig without any external smoke device & get good food.
I have a different brand , but feel the same way . I get great results with mine by running the smoke setting , then when I want to get to cook temp I slowly walk the setting up 25 or 50 degrees at a time . I let that runs however long , say 30 minutes . Then bump another 25 or so . Won't seem like much , but my thoughts are it adds enough fresh pellets to add more smoke over the length of the cook time .
I also stack my pellets . I'll use the good smoke wood pellets on the bottom half and use other pellets on top to finish up .
You're all over it . Pellet grills are so much fun to use .

I drove an hour during Covid to get BearMountain pellets from a Tractor Supply store based on rave reviews here. But just didn't see any improvement in taste and smell over what Lowe's sells down the street. Granted this isn't a pellet thread, but if someone promises LJ really is that much better than BM (certainly the abbreviation is) I'll consider paying postage to ship 20 pounds of wood to my doorstep, although that somewhat vioates the "don't be wasteful" code I was raised under.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky