• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 22, 2009
Central Florida (Sebring)
I would like to try an overnight butt smoke on my new RT 1250. I would like to use the extreme smoke setting all night long, with no smoke tube or anything else. I know that the temp will be around 180, and it will never get to 140 in 4 hours. So I’m going to inject it with a brine that has some cure#1 in the brine & also let it soak in the brine overnight. I have done this before & ran my WSM at 200 with a Guru, so I know it is safe. But my question is, has anyone else tried this & what were your results? Was it worth it?
Thanks,
Al

You should be fine Al. I do shoulder and briskets without problems.
I usually do not inject or wrap and have never gotten anyone sick. With injecting cure your just adding to that safety net.
When you get up in the morning just up the temp to your favorite setting 225-275 and finish up your usual way. Your will like the results and the bark!
Good luck and I am sure with your experience you will nail it.

I haven’t done the extreme smoke for more than 2-3 hours before kicking it up to a higher temp.

Are you planning to up the temp in the morning?

Reactions: SmokinAl
Al, Just curious if your brine has some cure#1 in it does it give the PP a hammy taste?

Chris

Maybe I had this wrong, I thought for a whole muscle it was the outside surface that needed to be at 140°. More than likely I'm wrong, thanks.
Mostly true, but Al is injecting the butt. So it's not technically a whole muscle meat.

Chris

He is, but since he's only smoking at 180 degrees he'll never reach 140* in 4 hours. Adding the cure to the injection helps add flavor and keeps him safe. Maybe I'm reading this wrong. It wouldn't be the first time.

Chris.
Al sorry about the highjack.

You should be fine Al. I do shoulder and briskets without problems.
I usually do not inject or wrap and have never gotten anyone sick. With injecting cure your just adding to that safety net.
When you get up in the morning just up the temp to your favorite setting 225-275 and finish up your usual way. Your will like the results and the bark!
Good luck and I am sure with your experience you will nail it.

Thank-you, that is the answer I was looking for!
Al

I haven’t done the extreme smoke for more than 2-3 hours before kicking it up to a higher temp.

Are you planning to up the temp in the morning?

Yes, depending on the IT and how it looks, I’m planning on finishing it at 225-250. Will probably wrap it around 165-170 if the bark looks like I like it & finish it in the oven.
Al

Al, Just curious if your brine has some cure#1 in it does it give the PP a hammy taste?

Chris

Just a bit Chris, it makes the PP just a bit different than anybody else’s than most of my guests have tasted. Not to hammy, because it was only in the brine overnight, just different in a good way.
Al

I be following this. I bought different pellets last time and hardly any smoke flavor. I need to suck them out of hopper or go back to tube until empty.

Brian, I’m in the same boat. I got 200# of RT pellets with my smoker. I don’t like them. I’m trying to get the hopper empty so I can use Lumberjack. I took half of the pellets out & put them in the other side & put LJ pellets in & there was a noticeable change in the smell of the smoke. So my plan is to go to LJ mesquite blend in one side & LJ charcoal hickory on the other. Then we will go from there
Al

Maybe I had this wrong, I thought for a whole muscle it was the outside surface that needed to be at 140°. More than likely I'm wrong, thanks.

No you are right. I am doing this for TG Day & some of the neighbors are coming over. I really don’t want to get someone sick with one of my experiments, hence the cure #1. Insurance!
Al

Mostly true, but Al is injecting the butt. So it's not technically a whole muscle meat.

Chris

True, but injecting it with cure, so it should be good.
Al
I thought he was injecting it because of the 140° in 4 hours rule.

Right, just to be safe, but I have been doing it this way for several years. Just not at 180 degrees. I always used my WSM/Guru setup set to 200, for an over nighter.
Al

What ones did you get that are no good. Want to steer clear of those.

Unfortunately the only ones that I have used are Lumberjack, and RT. RT sucks & LJ is very good IMHO!
Al

He is, but since he's only smoking at 180 degrees he'll never reach 140* in 4 hours. Adding the cure to the injection helps add flavor and keeps him safe. Maybe I'm reading this wrong. It wouldn't be the first time.

Chris.
Al sorry about the highjack.
It’s all good Chris!
And you’re right I have been doing this for years, but at 200 in my WSM/Guru setup. I was just wondering if anybody else had done this in a RT & was it worth the extra time. I’m still learning this smoker & am exited to get the flavor profile I am looking for, and you know I love to experiment with different stuff!
Al

Reactions: gmc2003
Al, I have the RT-700 and run it at 180 for full smoke. For good bark and smoke it is the way to go (for at least half the cook). For ribs it dries out the edges a bit because of the extra air flow and time to cook so a go 250-275 for those.
Let er rip!

I only have experience with CHEAP pellet machines... but extreme smoke settings usually have NO temperature control, they just feed pellets blindly at some on-off rate. If Al is still in his moderate climes, and he's using cure to boot, I doubt he'll drop too low from a food safety standpoint. But I still think a few fire safety reminders are in order before going to sleep on a cook, namely:
Make sure the cooker is clean/grease-free in the area outside the crucible where hot coals may overflow into, and
Assume the worse and keep the cooker away from building structures. (Pellet machines still work fine with cheap, long 16awg extension cords.)
A remote thermometer for the cook chamber that alarms on over-temps never hurts either.

Sam's. I been fairly happy with the Smokehouse blend and they had the hickory marked down so bought those. Luckily only bought one.
A lot of folks just can't tolerate 100% hickory. I'm not even sure Lumberjack sells 100%...it tends to be mixed with other woods...not that I'm a LJ connoisseur.

But I'm still confused...When you say "no smoke flavor" in your first post, are you sure that the hickory hadn't overwhelmed your olfactory sense just from tending the fire?

Maybe I'm alone, but I never think my food is smoky enough the day I make it. But the leftovers the next day, Oh my, do I enjoy the smoke. I just think it takes a day for me to get my taste/smell back completely. Especially with hickory!

Lumberjack makes 100% hickory but I can’t find them locally. I was ordering them but shipping was crazy so I switched to cabelas 100% hickory and 100% mesquite.

Lumberjack makes 100% hickory but I can’t find them locally. I was ordering them but shipping was crazy so I switched to cabelas 100% hickory and 100% mesquite.
Dicks had free shipping for a while but they stopped Carrying LJ from what I can tell. I found some other random free shipping on pellets but it look like that is less common these days.

In SLC I could two guys on a local classified that sold them for $10 a bag. You. Might search Craigs list or another local online classified and see if this is true where you are. Might be a long shot

I only have experience with CHEAP pellet machines... but extreme smoke settings usually have NO temperature control, they just feed pellets blindly at some on-off rate.
The recteq smoker has 180° for extreme smoke. It may vary 2 degrees or so but is very controlled. I now use extreme smoke always in the beginning and ramp up to get a reasonable finish.

Reactions: bill1 and SmokinAl
Al, now that you have had your 1250 for several months, I'm curious what your thoughts are on it, especially since you were using a stick burner prior to the 1250. How is the smoke flavor on it?

I'm thinking of upgrading my pellet grill, which gets no use at all because frankly it's not a very good one (Pit Boss Pro Series 1100), and I just prefer my stick burners. Thinking if I had a GOOD pellet smoker it might actually get used.

I want something with a PID controller, an upper rack, and the ability to put a good smoke flavor on my food without using a pellet tube. Was looking at the RT 1250, the Weber SmokeFire EX6 Gen 2, or the new Camp Chef Woodwind Pro 36" with that smoke box. But The Weber's have known problems, and the Camp Chef is very new and I don't like to be a Guiney Pig... so the 1250 seems like it might be the best option. I know it will never have the smoke flavor of a stick burner, but I want something that at least puts a better smoke flavor on the food than the average run of the mill pellet smoker.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky