Real new to smoking

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

neighbour

Original poster
Jun 10, 2016
Hi all,

I just got myself a XL big green egg and have no idea what I'm doing! I want to smoke a 15lb brisket tomorrow! Here are my questions:

1. Do I need another thermometer? If yes does it need to have two probes?

2. How long will it take?

3. How much lump do I need? Will I need to refill or top up?

4. What kind of wood = amazing taste? How much wood do I need?

My god I'm so excited, I hope someone can set me on the right path. Thanks all

First off take a deep breath, congrats on the new smoker.  You need to be able to read the internal temp of what your cooking. Either a good instant read digital thermo like a thermoworks, or a dual probe leave in thermo like a maverick.  The maverick will allow you to monitor the temp that you are cooking at. 

As far as time, it depends on cooking temp.  For low and slow (225*) it best to allow 2 hours per lb, so in your case that's 30 hours.  You might want to cook it at 325* in which case your looking at 45 min. per lb, or about 11.5 hours.  I should add, you're looking for an internal temp of 205* for pulled pork.  Either way your going to need to stock up on beer first. 

I'm not sure on charcoal, I don't have an egg, but I understand they go a long way on a little.  Hopefully an egg owner can help you out on that one, But you shouldn't need to refill, even for a 30 hour cook.  If you don't get an answer to this here, post another question.

Now to the smoke, the easiest thing to do is over smoke, I did it at first.  It's a case of less is more, and if its under smoked its still edible, but over smoked not so much.  What you don't want are billowing clouds of white smoke, a light haze of almost invisible smoke is best.  Any hardwood will work, but hickory goes well with pork.

So relax enjoy the moment and have a good smoke.  Best of luck, keep on smokin'.

Jasper7,
Thanks so much for the help mate! I really appreciate it. It's on now and the beer is flowing!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky