? Re side box of my new/used smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

clubmanager

Fire Starter
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Nov 19, 2020
The opening into the cook chamber is rather large and the cook grate is approx center of it. I’ve not used it yet but after reading Aaron Franklin‘s book and the section that addresses smoker builds, I wonder if I don’t need the ‘baffle’ he talks about. I’m afraid that side of the grill will get too much heat and while I understand his concept, I can’t picture how to execute it. He said something about once using an old license plate ;)
Does anyone have a picture I can reference? I’m sure I can come up with a solution as to execution but have no darned clue what this is supposed to look like, nor placement. Thanks in advance!

Disregard. I looked at it again. Cook grill is over, not halfway and I realize now that the area which holds charcoal for grilling moves up and down, I had it in the lowest setting. It raises above the side box opening and is perforated for the smoke. I think I’m good to go and realize I will likely have a hotspot over there....which from what I read is a good thing once I learn how to use it. I’ll add some pictures later just in case someone has a better plan.

Should I add anything near the firebox to prevent meat overcooking in that side? If so, please cite an example to correct. Thanks!

Attachments

• 800FF733-A5E3-4A81-A3A9-179EC0B338F9.jpeg
    800FF733-A5E3-4A81-A3A9-179EC0B338F9.jpeg
    129.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 52F182EE-0BCD-4D2F-8827-7A855A8D8497.jpeg
    52F182EE-0BCD-4D2F-8827-7A855A8D8497.jpeg
    151.8 KB · Views: 20
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky