Ray's bun recipe

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chopsaw

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 14, 2013
OFallon Mo.
OK , I've been wanting to try this for awhile now . Here's sawhorseray sawhorseray thread .
I have to admit , that I did change it up a bit . I like to follow the recipe given for the first time , that way you know what you're dealing with .
Anyway , the changes were not that big of a deal . I used only egg whites ( saved the yolks and made pasta dough )
Used the food processor , and brushed the tops with butter . Not a big deal .
Anyway , After the first ( and only ) rise , I shaped it in a rectangle .
Then I ran a wheeled pizza cutter thru the dough . Made sure it separated , then put it back together .
I was using the 360 to bake these , so I sized it to fit the baking pan .
20200408_183937.jpg
Lookin a bit rough in raw form . I knew at this point they might be a little heavy .
Into the 360 at 375 degrees . Pulled when they started to brown and brushed with melted butter .
20200408_190649.jpg
I temp my breads at 190 , or tap the bottom for a hollow sound .
Temp was good on these , so out of the 360 .
20200408_190614.jpg
Smells is fantastic . Here's a look at the bottom .

20200408_190746.jpg
Let them cool on the counter , then separated .
20200408_195139.jpg
20200408_195147.jpg
There was some weight to these , but not dense by any means .
For me , might be just a bit heavy for sausage . I could have caused that by changing up the recipe .
The smell , bite , texture and chew are fantastic . The taste ,,, my goodness the taste is out of this world .
The chew on these , is awesome . For my taste would make a great sub sandwich . The taste / flavor is so good
it stands on its own . I took a bite , ran for the butter and a knife . So good .
I might knead ( get it ) to make them smaller and give it a second rise for buns . I'll do it again just as I did this for personal bread
or sub sandwich .
Ray , thanks bud .

Those look awesome if I made them and smelled them baking I'd be like you getting the butter and a knife

Reactions: chopsaw
Yep, a smaller diameter roll, proofed longer would lighten them. They look good. For me, there is something magical about Cold Butter on Hot Bread...JJ

Wow Rich, those look gorgeous, Like! I'm glad you like recipe, I went thru quite a few before settling in on this one a few years back. I do fairly well at shaping burger buns, not so good on sausage rolls. I'll be making a batch today, got five packets of yeast left in the pantry. RAY

Wow!!
Those look mighty Tasty from the Den!!
I got plenty of butter here---So far.
Nice Job!
Like.

Bear

Thanks for lookin and all the likes and comments . I'll be doing these again for sure . Next time I'll follow it exact and do a second rise with an 8 count of rolls .
Thanks again everyone .

Reactions: sawhorseray
Look Really Good from here Like JJ said Hot bread and Butter Mmmm Mmmm

Gary

Thanks for lookin and all the likes and comments . I'll be doing these again for sure . Next time I'll follow it exact and do a second rise with an 8 count of rolls . Thanks again everyone .

Man, I'm thrilled that you like my recipe Rich, thank you! I got it from a guy I met on my old sausage site, he's about 80 now, lives in Maryland, and I still send him jokes via email. The guy can make dinner rolls with AP flour that are so light they almost float away from the table, unfortunately I haven't quite been able to pull that off, these buns are about the highlight of my baking career. Made a batch today, got 5 lbs of flour left and 4 packets of yeast in the pantry, now I'm hesitant to make a pizza. I'm going to put in a standing order online and hope it comes thru before I have to resort to store-bought. Got a yardbird and a yam on the weber, some mac & cheese in the oven, zukes on the stove. Stay safe and stay well! RAY
DSCN1689.JPG
DSCN1689.JPG

Reactions: Smokin' in AZ
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky