ran out of gas

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

miamirick

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 28, 2009
plantation fl
had everything ready for the fla lsu game last wwek and went out to get the smoker ready and the gas tank was empty,  (i think i left it open after the alabama debaucle) so had to improvise

4dc7f688_10-14003.jpg

cb23917e_10-14007.jpg

909a1fa9_10-14008.jpg

d20ba4be_10-14009.jpg

accbb5d7_10-14031.jpg

39266fbc_10-14035.jpg

e9e1a183_10-14038.jpg

6de7ecb1_10-14041.jpg

yes that is a crock pot full of rib meat  but you gotta eat right?

goin to the store tomorrow to fill the tank

got some fatties to smoke

happened to me last week too rick but i had 3 backups ready to go.........

Have had that happen to me ONCE-decided that I needed some extra tanks and now I have 4 tanks. One I found on the curb.  Some guy has placed his old gas grill out on the curb for bulk trash pick up and the tank was still attached to the grill. Since the guy was working in his yard, I asked him if he really meant to toss the tank too. He said that he didn't want any of it and if I wanted the tank, it was mine.  When I pulled the tank off, it still had about #15 pounds of propane still in it and the date of manufacture showed that the tank was less than 2 years old.

What a beautiful spread of food!!!!   Hope it passed muster with your taste-tester.   I pulled the "damn, what happened to the propane" joke on myself more than once, I'm embarrassed to say.  I have a spare now!    @ Dutch-nice find! I'm going to keep my eyes open a bit better for those curb discoveries, a bit scary that it had that much propane still in it. It wouldn't blow up or anything, but just seems a little not quite right.   glad you gave it a good home.

You did a GREAT job!! I want lunch now! :)

In the future: Test your tank!!  I learned this one from a friend of mine who works for the gas company and it really works!!

Grab a kettle full of boiling water. Carefully and GENTLY pour it down the side of your propane tank.  Feel the side of the metal tank. Where it is HOT there is no propane. You should be able to feel how far down the top of the propane is. I've ran out just an hour or two into a smoke, and that'll really tick me off.

Cheers!

-Princess

Great spread, necessity is the mother of invention and it look slike you improvised rather well. 

So I've found this method to be great in keeping an eye on my propane usage.

Take a look at the tank and you should see something that says TW - That is the tank weight of an empty tank.  Weigh the tank and subtract the tank weight.  That will give you your propane weight.  Dividie that by 4.23 to get your gallons of propane.  Then multiply that by 91500 that will give you your BTU's remaining.  You will need to know your burner rating in BTU then you can divide by that to give you the hours remaining.  Example

TW - 17.2

Current weight - 22

Propane weight - 4.8 LBS

Gallons of propane (weight /4.23) 1.134752

BTU remaining(gallons *91500) 103829.79

Hours remaining (BTU remaining / burner rating, in my case 15000) - 6.92 hours

I hope this helps.  I strung this together froms posts here and some more research on Wiki-pedia

I also write on my tank with the approx # of hours remaining as I weigh it after I'm done smoking.  I also keep a spare but at least I'm ready to go roughly when the tank runs out .

Great looking spread Rick. If you go electric you never have to worry about running out
icon_mrgreen.gif

hey scar your right,  bur on the other hand if i can remember to turn off the gas after drinking all day then i will still have gas for next weekend

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky