Rained Out!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Oceantoad

Smoke Blower
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Feb 26, 2022
I was removing the cover on "Ole Black Betty" when I heard a deep rumble. I was thinking dang, I sure am hungry. My stomach is growling like crazy. After getting her cover off, lifted her lid and started removing her racks, there it was again, even louder. I was wondering if I should make a little sandwich to tie me over until I get her all cleaned out and fired up for some grilling. Then I looked up. Black clouds rolling in, wind picking up, the smell of rain in the air and MORE RUMBLING. Turns out it wasn't my stomach at all, it was the approaching storm. I quickly cleaned out all the old ash/grease, replaced her racks, closed her lid and covered her back up. Unfortunately I had to resort to cooking inside on the stove. I looked out the kitchen window 15 min. into fixing dinner and it was coming down hard. I can't be mad it's raining out, we need it for the garden. I'll just have to grill out tomorrow.

Wanted to grill some pork chops and cabbage steaks on "Ole Black Betty". Ended up cutting the pork chops into small bite size pieces, cooking them in cast iron pan. When they were done, pulled them out, cooked up the cabbage in the same oil left from the pork. Once the cabbage was done, dumped the pork back in the pan and served with white rice. MMM, MMM, yummy.

Sounds like you ended up with a good meal. And I love the sound of rain. The next house I have will have patio/Deck with a tin roof. Just for that reason.

Jim

• Love
Reactions: forktender
Thats the story of my life.....lol! I only cook outdoors on the weekends, since I work 3rd's and the girlfriend works during the day we are only together on the weekends and I am not going through the hassle for just myself. My luck is it always seems to call for rain so I don't plan anything, then it doesn't rain or it will rain.

I see your also in Michigan so you know exactly what I am talking about, Michigan weather!

Dave

What happened to the BBQ creed - Neither rain, nor sleet, not snow... :emoji_laughing:
02ebz06, I don't mind grilling outside in any weather. I would just like to have some cover to grill under. My the portion of the deck I have "Ole Black Betty" parked has no overhang or any cover to protect me from rain. I'm probably going to grab my 10' x 10' awning from my cabin the next time I'm up there and use that through the summer/rainy months. I've had it for 10 years up North and remember using it maybe three times.

Reactions: 02ebz06
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky