R.I.P. Bearcarver (John)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I am sorry he did not get the chance to watch his beloved Eagles in the Superbowl with Jr. this weekend, that would have been special. I do take comfort knowing he will be watching over them from the best seat in the house though!

Reactions: MJB05615
I've been struggling with what to say.. after all, words are never sufficient in these types of circumstances..

Bear has been a part of this forum for as long as I can remember and while we've had our spats a time or two, I always felt like he was my friend and would do anything for me.

Some of you may not remember this but he even got banned one time for something.. can't remember what caused it but we talked it over, came to an understanding and he got right back at it without missing a beat.

His step-by-step instructions will always be a part of this forum and his legacy here and he loved creating those and hearing that his recipes gave someone a happy and delicious meal somewhere.

This forum will never be quite the same without him and we'll always remember him as one of the Greats.

Rest in peace my friend!

So sorry to hear of this bad news, he was such a great man and helped me a lot when I was first starting out and learning, his recipes were assume, going to be greatly missed.

I enjoyed learning from Bear’s posts, and he was always supportive towards others’ posts, including me. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

It is with a heavy heart that I have to announce Bearcarver AKA John Horne, passed away early this morning. John, as you all know had been battling various and severe health issues for several years. John was a great friend, and always helped everyone as much as was possible. John had asked a few weeks ago to post some of his thoughts and info about his various health issues, see below:

=================================
"Early thoughts

As for my health, the things I say are the way I feel, and I know more about my health than anyone else.
The "doctors" have been wanting me to get tons of tests, like I used to get, but I pretty much quit that years ago. It wears me out, and does me NO Good at all.

A couple months ago I was weighing in at about 237.
So for the last few weeks I've been losing weight. I was glad, but it came along with feeling nauseous, and losing weight. I was down to 215 when I went in the hospital, and was 209 when I came home. That is a new 10 year low.

All I could eat was one scrambled egg each morning, and even less for the rest of the day.
Then an hour later I would be bloated & feel like barfing.

They changed one of my drugs, and that might have helped the stomach slightly.

However the rest of me is still all screwed up, such as the following:
One10 year old tired Aortic Valve (from a cow, with a 10 year + - life-span.

One "7 to eight centimeter wide Subclavian Descending Aortic Aneurysm".

2 blocked carotid Arteries.

Chronic Kidney Disease, from lack of blood to my kidneys during open-heart surgery.

Emphysema & COPD.

A Numb Right Leg (happened after open-heart surgery)

Bad left eye that hasn't opened completely since my first stroke, in 2012.

These are my main problems, and none of them are going to just "go-away" or "Get Better".

They were mostly assisted by "Agent Orange" in one way or another.

I'm tired of dealing with them, and am hoping one of the ones that will take me quick will do so soon.

That may sound harsh to you, but if you had any idea what I've been through over the last 10+ years, you'd understand."

One thing that really impressed me and showed us the kind of man John was, almost all of his health issues are results of Agent Orange poisoning during his time in Viet Nam, yet he never blamed anything or anyone, and remained 100% dedicated to our great Country. This is in addition to his various talents like woodworking, or Bear carving. The extreme talents of his Family in various areas. Though I've never met John in person, I feel like he was one of my closest friends and will forever be remembered and respected. I hope you all join my Family and myself in praying for John and his Family. Godspeed my friend you will be missed.
It is with a heavy heart that I have to announce Bearcarver AKA John Horne, passed away early this morning. John, as you all know had been battling various and severe health issues for several years. John was a great friend, and always helped everyone as much as was possible. John had asked a few weeks ago to post some of his thoughts and info about his various health issues, see below:

"Early thoughts

As for my health, the things I say are the way I feel, and I know more about my health than anyone else.
The "doctors" have been wanting me to get tons of tests, like I used to get, but I pretty much quit that years ago. It wears me out, and does me NO Good at all.

A couple months ago I was weighing in at about 237.
So for the last few weeks I've been losing weight. I was glad, but it came along with feeling nauseous, and losing weight. I was down to 215 when I went in the hospital, and was 209 when I came home. That is a new 10 year low.

All I could eat was one scrambled egg each morning, and even less for the rest of the day.
Then an hour later I would be bloated & feel like barfing.

They changed one of my drugs, and that might have helped the stomach slightly.

However the rest of me is still all screwed up, such as the following:
One10 year old tired Aortic Valve (from a cow, with a 10 year + - life-span.

One "7 to eight centimeter wide Subclavian Descending Aortic Aneurysm".

2 blocked carotid Arteries.

Chronic Kidney Disease, from lack of blood to my kidneys during open-heart surgery.

Emphysema & COPD.

A Numb Right Leg (happened after open-heart surgery)

Bad left eye that hasn't opened completely since my first stroke, in 2012.

These are my main problems, and none of them are going to just "go-away" or "Get Better".

They were mostly assisted by "Agent Orange" in one way or another.

I'm tired of dealing with them, and am hoping one of the ones that will take me quick will do so soon.

That may sound harsh to you, but if you had any idea what I've been through over the last 10+ years, you'd understand."

One thing that really impressed me and showed us the kind of man John was, almost all of his health issues are results of Agent Orange poisoning during his time in Viet Nam, yet he never blamed anything or anyone, and remained 100% dedicated to our great Country. This is in addition to his various talents like woodworking, or Bear carving. The extreme talents of his Family in various areas. Though I've never met John in person, I feel like he was one of my closest friends and will forever be remembered and respected. I hope you all join my Family and myself in praying for John and his Family. Godspeed my friend you will be missed.
This is Mrs. Bear and Bears son. I’d like to thank you all for your kind words and thoughts. Many of you have corresponded with him over the past years and although he obviously shared the joy of smoking meat and cooking this forum meant a lot more to him than you may know. For the past few years with his health he wasn’t able to go out and enjoy the world, but he would sit in his chair and talk to you all, share food recipes and stories about his life and family. I want you know how much he appreciated your kindness, support and giving him a way to interact with the outside world. I know his recipes will live on even though he’s gone and I hope everyone enjoys a meal that he helped make possible.

72.png Go Birds! 72.png

This is Mrs. Bear and Bears son. I’d like to thank you all for your kind words and thoughts. Many of you have corresponded with him over the past years and although he obviously shared the joy of smoking meat and cooking this forum meant a lot more to him than you may know. For the past few years with his health he wasn’t able to go out and enjoy the world, but he would sit in his chair and talk to you all, share food recipes and stories about his life and family. I want you know how much he appreciated your kindness, support and giving him a way to interact with the outside world. I know his recipes will live on even though he’s gone and I hope everyone enjoys a meal that he helped make possible.

View attachment 657316 Go Birds! View attachment 657317
Thank you for the kind words on behalf of all here. I find myself often using John's recipes or methods as second nature. Then once going, I realize how much of an impact John has had on all of us. He'll never be forgotten.

Thanks for the service of country....and the smokin' knowledge as well! RIP

R.I.P.
Thank you for sharing all of your knowledge.

Last edited:
Rest in peace John. Thank you for everything you did on this site, for your country, and just for the person you were in everyday life. Your family and friends should be very proud.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky