Qunce jelly...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

daveomak

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 12, 2010
Omak,Washington,U.S.A.
Quince is an "Old World Fruit"...  I bought a tree several years ago...   Made some jelly several years ago too....    It has a spicy aroma and flavor...  citrusy and really different....

The fruit itself is as hard as a green pear or harder...  a devil to cut...  you can't eat these like an apple...    Last batch I added some raspberries to some of the jars....  That stuff was awesome...  didn't add raspberries this time...  I forgot to get them out of the freezer and time was fleeting...   
head-wall.gif
  ... old age is still tormenting me....

The fruit is NOT sweet....  it has it's own pectin...   no peeling or pitting....   render as is......  I used the slow cooker so the liquid would not burn...  and it wasn't big enough...  It is a 5 qt. and 6 #'s don't fit too well...  3.5#'s should be just fine...  it overflowed... I knew it would and had the slow cooker sitting in a sheet pan...  LUCKY LUCKY me.....

9 quince 6.8 #'s    ........................  ends trimmed 5.7 #'s.............             .......sliced and into the cooker....          a bunch of spring water added....

Lid on and cooking down.............       ...cooked down about 16 hours....    ..  heating it to 218... 8 deg, above boiling...    almost there.......

..preheating the canner and jars...    water bath method....   too busy to take pics...     its a beautiful color and a spicy unique flavor.....

The recipe called for 1/4 cup lemon juice and 3 C. sugar for ~4 half pints... or 3.5 #'s of quince....  I made 4 1/4 pints after all was said and done but no way to know that before you finish...

I think it came out a bit too sweet...  I should have calculated the sugar based on the "trimmed' weight of the quince.. 

So, now you can base your batch on my errors in judgement....

I would start with about 4.5 #'s of quince and trim to 3.5 #'s of cleaned and sliced fruit...  use the 1/4 C. lemon juice for acidity and 2.5-3 C. sugar...

Thanks for looking.....   Dave

Last edited:
Looks good Dave. I have been thinking of doing some of this and pepper jelly.

Hey Brian....   I overcooked it somewhere along the line and it lost it's pectin thickening ability...  I may have to add some Sure Gel and reheat it... 

Anyway, it you do try it, add a pepper or two to some of it...  I know a few raspberries sure added a + for flavor difference...  but be sure to make some regular to experience the flavor of the quince...... 

Dave...

Dave, we used to make quince paste which is great with mild cheese. It used to involve a great deal of stirring and minor burns from the bubbling as the quinces were cooking. We stopped making it when our local Publix began to stock a variety of pastes.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky