Quick WSM water question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokingUPnorth

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Dec 7, 2017
Michigan UP
I searched and saw people use sand in the WSM water pan but I don’t have any available right now. Would you guys recommend using water or nothing at all? I know my masterbuilt I never needed a water pan or anything. I was thinking of just wrapping it in foil and leaving it empty

I searched and saw people use sand in the WSM water pan but I don’t have any available right now. Would you guys recommend using water or nothing at all? I know my masterbuilt I never needed a water pan or anything. I was thinking of just wrapping it in foil and leaving it empty
I think it's done to help stabilize the temps a bit to avoid too much temp swing. Water works but you have to keep it filled.
Try it empty and see what happens. I never used it in my MB gasser when I still used it.

Reactions: SmokingUPnorth
I tried sand. I currently using a clay saucer that sits on top of the water pan. Wrap in foil and easy cleanup. Think it is a 14".

1616257955390.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: SmokingUPnorth
I'll run water in my 22" WSM if I'm going for lower temps - around 225* to 230*(which isn't often). Most of the time like others mentioned above foil the bowl and run it dry. Mine like to settle in around 250*.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky