• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

14.5 WSM deflection plate

motocrash

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Aug 25, 2017
Just made this today to be tested after T-day. .25 x 11.5 (same diameter as water bowl) covered in foil already. I know the mini builders use something like this.I'll report back after using.
KIMG0145.jpg

Last edited:

motocrash

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Aug 25, 2017
Decided to take foil off and acid etched-de rusted with phosphoric acid bath.I then seasoned it like CI but I used Crisco instead of flax seed oil (that stuffs expensive) since its gonna have fire breathing on one side.The seasoning seems to have held up well after first burn.Temp changes are faster but gradual and easy to control without overshooting either way.In summation -I like it.

Bill

chopsaw

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
What's it made out of ?

chopsaw

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
I need to look into doin this .

motocrash

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Aug 25, 2017
I need to look into doin this .
I cut it then chamfered /rounded the edges until smooth then seasoned as noted above.Easy peasy.If the seasoning doesn't hold up I'll just cover it with foil instead of reseasoning.Would be cool to get a hold some scrap stainless and do it.

pc farmer

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Feb 17, 2013
Ah. Beer moment

motocrash

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Aug 25, 2017
First you melt one of them Honda motocross bikes down,then......LOL

motocrash

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Aug 25, 2017
Old school huh.I had an '83 CR 125 it was a good bike.Whatcha got ? I know some guys that restore old bikes...

tropics

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 25, 2014
Looks good I stopped using my water pan after the second cook.
I use an aluminum pot lid.
100_4037.JPG

halleone

Fire Starter
Joined Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the idea Richie, I just measured and I just happen to have an aluminum pot lid the right size, so I'll just have to try it (lots of justs, there). I really don't like the water bowl!

tropics

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 25, 2014
Thanks for the idea Richie, I just measured and I just happen to have an aluminum pot lid the right size, so I'll just have to try it (lots of justs, there). I really don't like the water bowl!
Cover it with foil when you do
Richie

motocrash

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Aug 25, 2017
Update: After a month and a half and many cooks,the plate is working very well.I won't remove it but to scrape it every couple weeks.The seasoning is holding up perfect,temp holds great and is easily regulated :cool:

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.