• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Quick WSM water question

SmokingUPnorth

Smoking UPNorth
SMF Premier Member
Joined Dec 7, 2017
I searched and saw people use sand in the WSM water pan but I don’t have any available right now. Would you guys recommend using water or nothing at all? I know my masterbuilt I never needed a water pan or anything. I was thinking of just wrapping it in foil and leaving it empty

smokeymose

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Aug 13, 2015
I searched and saw people use sand in the WSM water pan but I don’t have any available right now. Would you guys recommend using water or nothing at all? I know my masterbuilt I never needed a water pan or anything. I was thinking of just wrapping it in foil and leaving it empty
I think it's done to help stabilize the temps a bit to avoid too much temp swing. Water works but you have to keep it filled.
Try it empty and see what happens. I never used it in my MB gasser when I still used it.

BrianGSDTexoma

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Aug 1, 2018
I tried sand. I currently using a clay saucer that sits on top of the water pan. Wrap in foil and easy cleanup. Think it is a 14".

1616257955390.jpeg

Last edited:

noboundaries

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Sep 7, 2013
Yep. Run it dry. The water pan is just a heat deflector in my WSM.

gmc2003

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Sep 15, 2012
I'll run water in my 22" WSM if I'm going for lower temps - around 225* to 230*(which isn't often). Most of the time like others mentioned above foil the bowl and run it dry. Mine like to settle in around 250*.

Chris

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.