Quick question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

scarfa21

Original poster
May 4, 2007
Buffalo, NY
Hi, i just bought a propane smoker, great outdoors to be exact. I was just wondering how long propane lasts on this, 20lb tank. I know it depends on how much its used and things like that, if i smoked something for 15-20 hours straight, will it run out?

Thanks

no it should last for about 20-24 hours not sure exactly but i know it is a long time i use two tanks when one is empty i just plug in a new one and it gives me some time to fill the empty
huey

I haven't actually kept track myself, but I read in another string somewhere that if you are running your burner at about 225º, it should last about 30 hours.
Currently I've ran mine on 2 smokes for a total of 19 hours and seems to be quite a bit left.
Hope that helps ......

Ok great, i will probably have to get another tank
icon_biggrin.gif

Heya, scarfa21!

Our climatic conditions are approximately the same. Best I can get on a 20 lb tank is 24 hours total. And that was in hot weather.

Over many years of outdoor cooking I have come to at least one conclusion....keep an extra tank or two! And don't just buy a bigger tank. An empty big tank is as useless as an empty small tank. Period.

If you are gonna start a smoke have a full spare. And gas can leak, too! That really shortens the life of a tank! Take no chances and keep plenty on hand.

Cheers!

PS Did I mention that extra tanks are the answer?

Scarfa..it is definitly a good idea to have at least one if not 2 spare tanks .I run a 6 burner gas Q and one of those mosquito magnets ....I keep one on each unit and 2 spares ...spares are a must

Id have to agree and say 24 hrs is a good avarege burn time on a tank.
you should get a guage like this one that lets you see how much you have left. find these at wal-mart or other for a few bucks but a life saver.

but having an extra tank on hand is a must for anyone that uses a smoker alot, unless you want to make a late night trip to wal-mart and just try to find someone to help you at THAT hour
PDT_Armataz_01_11.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky