• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Questions on smoking sausage

hillbilly jim

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Apr 13, 2015
I'd like to smoke some pre-cooked sausage for nibbling with cheese and crackers.

Hot smoke or cold smoke?

If hot, what IT should I take it to?

Thanks, guys!

smokeymose

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Aug 13, 2015
Good question, Hillbilly.

If it's pre-cooked, any cure has probably cooked out and it may not be safe to let it cold smoke for 3 or 4 hours. I don't know. If you hot smoke you may end up having overcooked sausage....

I'd be curious to find out.

Dan

(BTW I like your signature. I worked for Trane Co. in Terre Haute in the '70s and that's one of the few things that stuck with me. Try explaining that to most people!)

chef jimmyj

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined May 12, 2011
Any Precooked food should be reheated until Hot. Cured sausage like Kielbasa, an IT of 145 is fine. Fresh Sausages like Brats you should reheat/smoke to 165...JJ 

SFLsmkr1

Legendary Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Joined Dec 25, 2010
What JJ said is what i would go with it, i never heard of cure being cooked out 

hillbilly jim

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Apr 13, 2015

Any Precooked food should be reheated until Hot. Cured sausage like Kielbasa, an IT of 145 is fine. Fresh Sausages like Brats you should reheat/smoke to 165...JJ 
​So, if I put any pre-cooked sausage in a 200* cabinet with smoke and bring it to 145* IT, would I be I good?

SFLsmkr1

Legendary Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Joined Dec 25, 2010

​So, if I put any pre-cooked sausage in a 200* cabinet with smoke and bring it to 145* IT, would I be I good?
Pre cooked is already cooked. Your safe so your just wanting some smoke?

Put just smoke to it at around 160-170. your IT has already been met when it was cooked. Anything higher then your just cooking it again.

smokeymose

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Aug 13, 2015

What JJ said is what i would go with it, i never heard of cure being cooked out 
I read somewhere (maybe another site) sometime ago about cure "flashing out" after a certain temp and kind of took it for granted, nepas.

I'll take your word on it, though, as always :-)

Dan

hillbilly jim

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Apr 13, 2015

Pre cooked is already cooked. Your safe so your just wanting some smoke?

Put just smoke to it at around 160-170. your IT has already been met when it was cooked. Anything higher then your just cooking it again.
Got it. Thank you, Sir!

SFLsmkr1

Legendary Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Joined Dec 25, 2010

I read somewhere (maybe another site) sometime ago about cure "flashing out" after a certain temp and kind of took it for granted, nepas.

I'll take your word on it, though, as always :-)

Dan
This is how we all learn. Been at this for 30+ years and i still learn new things.

chef jimmyj

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined May 12, 2011
Treat the precooked sausage like any Meat you would reheat. Use heat and get it hot and you are good to go...JJ

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.