Questions on smoking sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hillbilly jim

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Apr 13, 2015
Floyd, VA
I'd like to smoke some pre-cooked sausage for nibbling with cheese and crackers.

Hot smoke or cold smoke?

If hot, what IT should I take it to?

Thanks, guys!

Good question, Hillbilly.

If it's pre-cooked, any cure has probably cooked out and it may not be safe to let it cold smoke for 3 or 4 hours. I don't know. If you hot smoke you may end up having overcooked sausage....

I'd be curious to find out.

Dan

(BTW I like your signature. I worked for Trane Co. in Terre Haute in the '70s and that's one of the few things that stuck with me. Try explaining that to most people!)

Any Precooked food should be reheated until Hot. Cured sausage like Kielbasa, an IT of 145 is fine. Fresh Sausages like Brats you should reheat/smoke to 165...JJ 

What JJ said is what i would go with it, i never heard of cure being cooked out 
th_dunno-1%5B1%5D.gif

Any Precooked food should be reheated until Hot. Cured sausage like Kielbasa, an IT of 145 is fine. Fresh Sausages like Brats you should reheat/smoke to 165...JJ 
​So, if I put any pre-cooked sausage in a 200* cabinet with smoke and bring it to 145* IT, would I be I good?

​So, if I put any pre-cooked sausage in a 200* cabinet with smoke and bring it to 145* IT, would I be I good?
Pre cooked is already cooked. Your safe so your just wanting some smoke?

Put just smoke to it at around 160-170. your IT has already been met when it was cooked. Anything higher then your just cooking it again.

What JJ said is what i would go with it, i never heard of cure being cooked out 
th_dunno-1%5B1%5D.gif
I read somewhere (maybe another site) sometime ago about cure "flashing out" after a certain temp and kind of took it for granted, nepas.

I'll take your word on it, though, as always :-)

Dan

Pre cooked is already cooked. Your safe so your just wanting some smoke?

Put just smoke to it at around 160-170. your IT has already been met when it was cooked. Anything higher then your just cooking it again.
Got it. Thank you, Sir!

I read somewhere (maybe another site) sometime ago about cure "flashing out" after a certain temp and kind of took it for granted, nepas.

I'll take your word on it, though, as always :-)

Dan
This is how we all learn. Been at this for 30+ years and i still learn new things.

Treat the precooked sausage like any Meat you would reheat. Use heat and get it hot and you are good to go...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky