Questions for reverse flow builders

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

va_connoisseur

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 13, 2007
DC Metro - Northern Virginia
I have a couple of question for the reverse flow builders. I have been seeing a few builders not fully welding the reverse flow plate, just tack welding it. Is that a good idea? My builder fully welded all 3 sides of the plate to the box.

Secondly, how long should the plate be in relation to the smoke chamber? I see some builder leave a smaller opening (less than a foot from the end of the tank) and others that have the plate stop 2/3 of the way down. Is there a correct way to measure the distance it should be?

Thanks in advance.

Tack vs. fully welding is probably not much of a concern either way.  If it was only tacked, it could "leak" a bit, but that amount would be so trivial I doubt it would matter.  I would assume fully welded to be better as long as it can be done without warping, which it sounds like yours is fine.

As far as the opening, you want the opening at the end of the rf plate to be at least the same size as your firebox to cook chamber opening.  There are some different thoughts on this, and someone with more experience will probably answer, but anywhere from the same size as the firebox/cook chamber opening to a bit larger and you should be ok.

Best way to tell is to smoke something!

I thot about tacking mine on my build but i overdo everything so mine is fully welded all way around. My opening on the end is 8" from the end. BUT thats bigger then the 7" opening at the FB/CC. From what ive kearned is always have the opening bigger then the FB/CC opening. As far as tacking the plate in? Im sure with enough cooks the seasoning wilm build up enough in the cracks to seal it off in time as long at the reverse flow plate is cut tight.

00j0j_km0PWAhwJwh_50x50c.jpg

This is a blurry image for the reverse flow plate

Reverse Flow plate ;  is a matter of preference, Weld, tack or not weld at all. Everybody has their own ideas and methods. We do not weld our plates in, They sit on an angle that is welded in. We bevel the edges a bit for a better fit. I wanted removable plates for access & cleaning. WE use 1/4" plate. The opening at the end needs to be at least as large as your FB to CC opening I would go just a little larger to compensate for friction and the heat making that 90º turn,

I like mine fully welded and long enough to catch every bit of drippings from the cooking rack ( extends a few inches past cooking racks at both ends. )  Nothing gets under the plate to have to clean out. Everything flows out the drain hole. And plate/pan will hold water so when it comes time to do a real good cleaning, you can soak while heating up the cooker

Im not saying thats the right way..or even the best way...its just how I like it.

Everybody has a preference, like RW said no right or wrong way I'ts what ever you like and works best for you. That is why there are so many different threads. You said your's was fully welded, so I wouldn't worry about it. Just get to know your smoker and start having some fun.

Gary

Everybody has a preference, like RW said no right or wrong way I'ts what ever you like and works best for you. That is why there are so many different threads. You said your's was fully welded, so I wouldn't worry about it. Just get to know your smoker and start having some fun.

Gary
Indeed. My smoker is running well. A friend just bought one from a company that is not a Lang or Bubba and is having a heck of a time getting temps to hold. I took a look and the first thing that jumped out to me was the huge gap between the RF plate and the end of the smoker and that the RF plate was not welded.

Sounds like you have it down. Just keep is simple, don't over think it, the more you smoke the easier it gets, After several years it's like second nature, you know how your smoker cooks, you adjust for time and weather, and turn out some real good BBQ.  I'll give you an example, My brother-in-law back years ago always liked me to grill or smoke something when they cam for a visit. Finally I gave him one of my old charcoal grills I had made. The first couple of times was a big production number, getting everything ready, hurrying around then when he put everything on he wanted to open the lid every few min. and look. Now it's routine to him, not a big deal. Just got comfortable. Smoking is the same way, lots of practice.

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky