Question with guru WSM

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

buckaholic84

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 30, 2016
MD
I just got a guru digit q for my WSM. I am going to do a pork butt as a test run sometime this weekend. I will be doing the minion and probally smoke around 250. with hickory and cherry.

My question is I was thinking with the fan only in one vent, if I do a normal minion with hot coals in the middle will all the coals burn toward the fan? leaving one half of the unlit not burnt? Should I alter the minion at all with the guru

I place a #10 can in the middle of the charcoal ring.Fill the ring with charcoal and wood chunks. Then I add about 15 briquets of lit charcoal in the can. I have not noticed that the charcoal burns towards the fan. I would not alter the minion with the guru.

Yep, no worries. All the coals will burn, as Ray says the fan adapter, if installed correctly, will direct the air to the bottom of the kettle.
Al

X4 on the confirmation.

Been using a Guru on my WSM since about 2006. Best tool ever made for the WSM. Top vent 100% open and all other bottom vents closed. The other holes in the bottom vent where the Guru fan adapter is mounted also need to be taped off. You want the only source of air to the fire to be from the Guru. All areas of the fire ring and grate will burn like normal from the forced air of the Guru. It's as close to set and forget as you can get with charcoal. Also it makes long overnight smokes such as butts easy as can be. I've done some many with the Guru, I totally trust it to hold the set temp as long as there is fuel to burn. Once you have used it a couple of times on an overnight, you will sleep like a baby knowing the Guru is minding the pit temps.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky