Question to anybody with a char-griller super pro with the offset box?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bgood321

Original poster
Dec 4, 2007
Ok like I said in my opening post my first big project will be a turkey (10-12 lbs). From what I have read this should take anywhere from 5-8 hours. My question is should I be fine with just filling up the box with charcoal to begin with then just keep the smoke and heat going with some oak wood I have or should I try another way?

First off, don't go by time, go by internal temp. There's alot of methods and recipes posted here already on this subject, so do a search and choose your own weapon.

As far as the filling up the box with charcoal, no. Do this:

If you have not modded your CG with a baffle to help with the hot spot at the sfb end, then flip your charcoal grate upside down in the smoking chamber, setting it just above the sfb opening. This will help stablize the temps across the grates.

Get a charcoal chimney lighter, fill it with lump charcoal and dump that (unlit) into the sfb. Then, light a chimney full of lump charcoal, and dump that on top of the unlit.

Place two or three chunks of your favorite wood around the pile, let the coals develope and let the smoke settle down, then install the bird on the grates.

Everyone has their own chamber temp recommendations... I like 300-ish. I won't go into alot of detail here, this should get you started and don't forget to do a search on the different turkey methods everyone is using.

Good luck and have fun!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky