Question from a new Smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bama59

Original poster
Jan 25, 2022
Trying to determine a heat source for this. It's 24x24x 4ft tall chamber. Want to go propane for temps up to 170-180 max, but also want something I can hold around 125 when needed. Not sure what size burner I need. In Alabama so extremely cold temps are not going to be a concern. Since the picture attached, I went ahead and lined the inside walls in aluminum flashing.
Smokehouse 1.jpg Smokehouse 2.jpg

Not sure what size burner you could use but maybe some of the others might know. Have you considered electric for heat?

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Piney is on the right track here.
This build was made for electric. For propane, you would need to have enclosed the bottom and placed a burner on the floor level. With a diffuser plate, this gives the heat enough space between the fire and food.

You could also do a hot plate (electric)

Piney is on the right track here.
This build was made for electric. For propane, you would need to have enclosed the bottom and placed a burner on the floor level. With a diffuser plate, this gives the heat enough space between the fire and food.

You could also do a hot plate (electric)
Thanks for the reply. I tried a 1500 watt hot plate, but max I got was around 110 on a 45 degree day. I was hoping a small propane burner would do the trick

I think JckDanls 07 JckDanls 07 tried a propane burner in a smokehouse about the same size maybe he will comment on what he figured out

I think JckDanls 07 JckDanls 07 tried a propane burner in a smokehouse about the same size maybe he will comment on what he figured out
I have also thought about an external firebox such as a barrel stove or the like. But I really don't have a clue on the temps I could expect with that either. I do appreciate any advice

Thanks for the reply. I tried a 1500 watt hot plate, but max I got was around 110 on a 45 degree day. I was hoping a small propane burner would do the trick
Ok, if you really want to go propane, use a low pressure burner and I would suggest you contact Tejas Smokers. I’ll post a link. This is what they do for a living, provide propane burners for cookers. Give them a call and tell them what you are trying to do, they will set you up with what will work for your smokehouse.

https://tejassmokers.com/Low-Pressure-Burners/543

Ok, if you really want to go propane, use a low pressure burner and I would suggest you contact Tejas Smokers. I’ll post a link. This is what they do for a living, provide propane burners for cookers. Give them a call and tell them what you are trying to do, they will set you up with what will work for your smokehouse.

https://tejassmokers.com/Low-Pressure-Burners/543
Thank you I will. Yes I've looked at low pressure burners but really didn't know how much btu I might need

Yes... I did try propane in my smokehouse... made my own burner from a piece of 1 inch pipe... cut slits in it with a sawzall metal blade... It ended up I couldn't get the temps down low enough so I started to tape over some of the slits to cut back on the number of flames... Using a needle valve for control of the gas flow I finally got the temps down to where I needed them.... The next problem was that the flames were so low/small that the slightest breeze was blowing them out .. Now I have a potential bomb waiting to explode with just a spark from the raw propane filling the smokehouse...

I ditched the propane and went with electric and a pellet tube... I like the idea of programming the steps into a PID controller and walk away with no worries of raw propane filling the smokehouse if the flame went out... Start the cook before going to bed and be done when I wake up in the morning...

Now if you insist on propane make sure you use the fail safe equipment... If the flame goes out it will cut off the propane...

I think SmokingEdge has you on the right trail about giving tejassmokers a call... MAKE SURE you install all the fail safe features for propane ...

Reactions: SmokinEdge
That's more than likely why it didn't get above 110` .. they have limit switch's (snap switch I believe they are called) built in to prevent overheating and causing a fire ...

Ended up going with a small burner 41k btu. Put flame out valve and insulated gas hose. Smoked sausage for 10 hours yesterday. Worked like a charm. I do have to leave bottom door open to get the lower temps. Not gonna post a picture of the sausage’s because my stuffing capabilities reflect a true beginner, lol

Attachments

• 0B633489-C65D-46F1-8832-4B63DDA6A120.jpeg
    0B633489-C65D-46F1-8832-4B63DDA6A120.jpeg
    159 KB · Views: 29
  • E06D0287-C77B-425A-8C3F-377503F2FD69.jpeg
    E06D0287-C77B-425A-8C3F-377503F2FD69.jpeg
    110 KB · Views: 25
  • C9A8CEE0-E38F-4D3E-AD8A-89974D65431C.jpeg
    C9A8CEE0-E38F-4D3E-AD8A-89974D65431C.jpeg
    125.5 KB · Views: 27
Ended up going with a small burner 41k btu. Put flame out valve and insulated gas hose. Smoked sausage for 10 hours yesterday. Worked like a charm. I do have to leave bottom door open to get the lower temps. Not gonna post a picture of the sausage’s because my stuffing capabilities reflect a true beginner, lol
Nice work. I bet those sausages look like supper. We aren’t judgemental like that. Question, how did they taste? If good, you should post it up. We like and eat all good tasting food, no shame.

Reactions: TNJAKE
This is one of the best looking. Used legg’s smoked sausage seasoning and their instructions along with cure #1. Smoked till temp was 145 and was in the stall what seemed like forever. Tried the water bath to finish off. Internal temp got a little warmer than I wanted but the taste is very good. Learned a lot this being the first time

Attachments

• D8D4788D-1B0B-47D5-AAB5-1F766BBD022C.jpeg
    D8D4788D-1B0B-47D5-AAB5-1F766BBD022C.jpeg
    161.3 KB · Views: 30
Reactions: mike243
It looks very good which number Leggs did you use

That is a good one I've used it

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky