Question about oil drum smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

newbiesmoker

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jul 5, 2008
Huntington, In.
I acquired an oil drum smoker yrs ago that was cut in half already. So my plan was, to have basically 2 openings one, where is was originally cut, then another smaller door cut in the top.
My question is, I bought 6" channel iron and was going to use 2 runs the 59" length to get my heat. I could pull it out to get air as it will be sitting on channel iron rails. 20200704_134403.jpg View attachment 452674 20200704_134403.jpg View attachment 452674I've seen it before but wondered if that would be less efficient than a side fire box. A side box would have to be like 30x30 or something close to that if I remember right.

Attachments

• 20200705_151541.jpg
    20200705_151541.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 13
I cut mine the other way and only 1/2 so the front and 1/2 the top pivots , wanted more room on a single grate to do large critters lol, I made it where I can mount a small drum on the end for a fire box, have a 55 gal setting on it now til I can get a 30 gal, got the mesh for the grate, got to get off thru the week to get some angle iron to make the frame, mounted on a trailer , last thing I will do is replace bearings and tire/rims

Reactions: newbiesmoker
Lord no turn nothing down but a demotion lol , I contemplated doing mine that way and putting a pellet burner in it, then I decided I could still do that even cut the other way

Reactions: newbiesmoker
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky