Question about marking knives.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kawboy

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 20, 2015
Central Minnesota
I'm taking the Culinary program at a semi-local college .My instructor says we should mark our knives since we all had to purchase the same set for the course. Have any of you guys marked you knives? He has his engraved, but wondering about other ways. Don't want to mess up $350 worth of knives. Thanks for any ideas.

A simple unique mark on the handle would suffice I think.Marking with a Sharpie or a piece tape would work but at some point would eventually fade or come off.

I work in the trades so I mark tools very uniquely so as only I can identify it.Enough thieves in the trades to have to do that.

If your knives have plastic handles just put a little slice on the end, that's all we do at work, one guy has 1 slice, another guy will have 2 and so on.

A simple unique mark on the handle would suffice I think.Marking with a Sharpie or a piece tape would work but at some point would eventually fade or come off.

I work in the trades so I mark tools very uniquely so as only I can identify it.Enough thieves in the trades to have to do that.

Engraving would be the best way. I engrave my tools. But I use a stencil so it comes out good.

I would love to engrave, but don't want to botch the job, they are nice knives. They do have synthetic handles, so I could print up some stickers here at work. Just don't want them coming off in the dishwasher(just trying to get a rise out of you guys). Thanks for the ideas!

At some of the events I cook at, there are helpers that clean-up, wash dishes and utensils for us. I use the small colored zip ties so I can identify my things quickly.
qpp8xPu.jpg

Thirdeye's zipties are the quickest, easiest and most visible route to go, next to putting marks in the plastic handles.
You could mark the handles with notches or branding.
But why mar the handles of your expensive knife set.

Engraving or etching is the way I would mark them permanently.
You can do some acid etching with templates that looks pretty good.
You can buy acid etching kits online.

I have a guy near me that does laser engraving for a reasonable price I had him do most of my firearms.
Lots of jewelry places do laser engraving for reasonable prices.

Last edited:
Reactions: indaswamp
I've seen some knives and metal flasks go through the laser coder at work. They come out nice. And with a wattage adjustment. They can be quite subtle.

I take it he wants you to mark them so they don't come up missing or confused with someone else's so I would think you'd want something that doesn't come off. I think I'd have to mark the handles in some way like maybe engrave the end of the handle so it doesn't affect holding the knife. Doesn't have to be overly complicated or complex maybe just a series of slashes or maybe the first letter of your first or last name.

Thanks for the ideas! I talked to a local shop that says he could engrave for about $10 a piece. He also brought up chemical etching, will look at that when I stop by after work, on my way to class. Yes, he is concerned about knives getting mixed up in the kitchen.

Since you really only need this for the duration of the class, I have to say again that thirdeye thirdeye 's zip tie is the easiest, cheapest and most VISIBLE option.
You and others will be able to ID your knife in an instant, there is no mistakenly picking it up thinking it is their knife.
No looking for small marks or engravings, it's plain as day.

You can buy a box of multicolored small zip ties at Lowe's, Home Depot or Harbor Freight in the electrical section for what it will cost to engrave one knife.
And if someone else has the same idea you will be able to switch colors easily.

Last edited:
Reactions: JLeonard
One other thought- If the knives do not have holes in the handles, you could drill hanger holes in them to I.D. your knives...

*edit to add:
then you could put the zip tie through the hole so it is not where you grip the knife. the locking mechanism on a zip tie would be bothersome having to hold it if on the grip all day.....I would get blisters.

Just don't want them coming off in the dishwasher.
find someone to etch it, sholdnt be to expensive.
dont want to come off as a smart arse but $300 set of knives aint going in a dishwasher. i bought this knive almost 2 yrs ago Screenshot_20200930-093705_Chrome.jpg and couple of old hickorys and a 15 deg asian paring knife all are over a year old. none have seen the bottom of a sink or dishwasher. used, laid on counter top behind sink, hand washed and dried and stored in knife block. no edge has touched anything but food and wood cutting board 20190116_192715.jpg . still very sharp, touch of knife steele and good to go. being in school im sure yours will see more use than mine but the theory is valid on care. yours will just need sharpening sooner.

Reactions: JC in GB
find someone to etch it, sholdnt be to expensive.
dont want to come off as a smart arse but $300 set of knives aint going in a dishwasher. i bought this knive almost 2 yrs agoView attachment 465167 and couple of old hickorys and a 15 deg asian paring knife all are over a year old. none have seen the bottom of a sink or dishwasher. used, laid on counter top behind sink, hand washed and dried and stored in knife block. no edge has touched anything but food and wood cutting boardView attachment 465168. still very sharp, touch of knife steele and good to go. being in school im sure yours will see more use than mine but the theory is valid on care. yours will just need sharpening sooner.
I just said dish washer to get a rise out of people.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky