Question about Heat and Smoke for a new Build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fishwrestler

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Apr 4, 2010
Loomis,CA
I have wanted to do this for some time and after finding this site I have been inspired.
I currently have:
A Big Chief Smoker that I use to do my jerky and fish as the temperatures never seemed to be able to get high enough to do much more.
A Char-Broil Bandera Smoker that I have used to smoke a variety of meets.
A pull behind Rotisserie used mainly to cook whole hogs. We have done goats, used it as a smoker to smoke over 1100 lbs of salmon before and as a straight BBQ for large events.
I want to build a small smoke house style smoker. I am a former cabinet maker and shop teacher so I have the tools and I believe the skills needed. This site has given me the inspiration. I am currently stuck between two ideas and would hope everyone’s knowledge and input from here could push me one way or the other. I am stuck between using a propane burner and cast iron skillet combo or using a heating element and a cold smoke generator.
I would appreciate your thoughts, input and pros and cons for using each method.
Thank you in advance
Robert

I dont have a smoke house but you can try a search for it on the top of the page. I'm sure someone will be along and give you some help.

Hey Fishwrestler I have a smoke house that I built last winter and I use a propane burner with a cast iron pan/lid for my wood chip pan and I LOVE it. I use a turkey/fish fryer burner and put the cast iron pan on top of the burner with a few fire bricks between the burner and my pot so the flames aren't directly on the cast iron pan. Mine is very well insulated and I am able to keep temps as low as 140-275 all year long even in -30 degree weather this winter.

Fishwrestler you didn't say anything wrong. I use a propane burner cast iron skillet and smoke guns that I designed and built. Here is a thread to my pictures http://s727.photobucket.com/albums/ww275/hounds51/

Also http://s807.photobucket.com/home/Hou...2010/allalbums

This may give you some ideas. If you are constructing out of wood, you may want to consider flashing the lower half of your inside smoke house walls.
Smoke house are generally for a lower tempeture smoke. Although I have been known to bring up my smokehouse temps to about 275 degs and have smoked a cured turkey or ham, but mainly use it for 160 stuff like Lebanon bologna, bacon, sausage, snack stix and etc. I use a Northern Tools propane burner with a 3/8" steel plate, then either wood smokin skillet or water pan, or both.
I always use my smoke guns which do not require any external air sources. They rely on the old woodstove/ draft principal. Really simple, yet soo effective. If you have any questions please feel free to ask. Will be glad to help you out.
Dennis

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky