Question about grate temperatures

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

btm723

Original poster
Dec 31, 2016
Northwest Arkansas
First I'm using an MES with the AMNPS.

I've used this set up several times with few issues and good results. I finally broke down and bought a good probe thermometer (Therm Pro) based on reviews from this site.

So anyway I set up a grate probe, and after the MES got to set temp (235) the probe was only reading 197. I bumped up the set point to 250 and have only gotten readings from the probe at 210. The probe is on the lower end of the box, two racks above the pan, but this seems to be a drastic difference to me.

I did not check the probe reading in boiling water since it was brand new; probably should have in hindsight. I did recently move and I did have an issue with the controller wanting to start up when I first plugged it in, first smoke since the move, so there may have been slight damage in the move.

Any thoughts on what the best approach would be right now; short of starting over and testing the probes. Go with the box temp on the MES controller, keep bumping up the set temp to get the grate temp I'm trying to achieve, or another option I haven't thought of yet.

Thanks in advance for the responses.

Do the boiling water test. If you don't want to do the ice test. Thats fine. Most your probe should be off is 1 degree. Normal. Different areas within your Mes will give different results. Different shelf positions will have different temps. Best thing is let your Mes run at least an hour before looking at the temps. Next best thing is to pull all of your meat thermometer you have and run 1 at each corner. You will have some astonishing findings. Keep records of your findings. It helps later on. I highly doubt that you have a bad unit.

Definitely boil test your therms!!! Its the only way you can be sure. Also find out what the boiling point for water is at your location--it changes with elevation. For example where I live water boils at 207 degrees.
IMO the best place to locate your cook chamber probe is at grate level. I attach mime to to the closest grate beneath the meat I'm cooking. The temperature thats important to me is the area closest to the food.
Gary

Well as I suspected The probes were correct. The MES just wasn't getting up to the temperature set point. Being a little of a newbie to this still this was the first time that I've tried to monitor grate temperature.

The pork still turned out great, and now I'm pretty sure why I've had longer cook times than I was expecting based on everything I've read and have been told.

Trial and error still seem to be the greatest teacher.

Gary I did investigate the approximate boiling point. It appears that the elevation where I'm at in NWA in approximately 1200' and the boiling point should be 210.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky