Question about cheese making?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sean022

Original poster
Oct 11, 2020
Hello so I’m new to cheese making and I’m looking at a mozzarella recipe and it says to remove the milk from the heat at 85 degrees and then prepare the Calcium Chloride and Rennet and then put the milk back on the head but it doesn’t say anywhere what it means by “prepare”. What does it want me to do here? I should also mention that in the ingredients list it says the chloride and rennet are supposed to be diluted. Is that what it means? Does prepare mean dilute them?

The calcium chloride and rennet each need to be mixed with non-chlorinated water. I used distilled water. Usually they are mixed/diluted in a quarter of a cup of water.

One of the more notable and respected members here ( SmokinAl SmokinAl ) posted this. It is an amazing read. Step-by-step instructions and an easy read. You'll see how popular this is by the number of replies. Give it a shot. You can't lose!! If it comes from Al, you can take it to the bank.

Robert

Reactions: jaxgatorz
The calcium chloride and rennet each need to be mixed with non-chlorinated water. I used distilled water. Usually they are mixed/diluted in a quarter of a cup of water.

I've not made the cheese but wanted to let you know I'm still making the spicy pepperoni you posted quite a while ago and I stole from you :emoji_laughing: It's one of the wife and I's favorite sausages and we use it in a LOT of different things....even to the point that I package small amounts and freeze them for her lunches. We like it that much and thank you again for sharing it.

Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky