Question about Beef Bone-In Rib Roast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

morningwood

Original poster
Dec 2, 2013
So I was just looking through the paper and see a sale on  Beef Bone-In Rib Steak or Roast.

Is that the same as a Standing Rib Roast? aka Prime Rib? Is the word Prime in Prime Rib really referencing the grade?

Seems like a great deal at $4.99 a pound, what do you guys think?

Thanks for any help!

I take advantage of that sale at Best Yet all the time. Prime really refers to the grade but has become synonymous with the cut. Marketing trick I guess. These are probably choice rib roasts. These are good, but you have to really search for ones that are well marbled. They will be more tender and juicy. I have purchased one or two that were really lean and ate more like roast beef than a juicy hunk or prime rib. Look for small little flecks of fat throughout the meat. Check out Bear's posts about smoking a prime rib. The step by step is great!

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to take advantage of the sale. I have seen Bear's post - that's what made me start looking for a deal!

I'm right down the road from you in Babylon.. I didn't realize there were fellow Long Islanders on this forum.
icon14.gif

Thanks again and Happy Smoking!

At that price I'd be stocking up the freezer

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to take advantage of the sale. I have seen Bear's post - that's what made me start looking for a deal!

I'm right down the road from you in Babylon.. I didn't realize there were fellow Long Islanders on this forum.Thumbs Up

Thanks again and Happy Smoking!
No problem! You can ask their butchers to cut the ribs off for you and save those for a separate smoke. They also sometimes sell half racks of the ribs for really cheap when they run these sales. Maybe 2.99 which is cheaper than you'll find them most places. Yeah, it's good to see I have addicts close by haha. Want it to warm up a little so I am more motivated to fire up the smoker.

If its choice, then $4.99 is a great deal with the meat prices around here. Hopefully, they'll cut to your specification like they do here at Kroger.   I can get whatever size I want, from whichever part of the rib loin I prefer (Chuck end, loin end or center cut).  

Yep that is select grade or lower..if they have lower nowadays.  Notice they dont seem to be touting the grade which is a real bad sign. Bet it would be hard to stick a fork in the gravy off the biotch. Now when they come out with Choice Grade at that price I would start buying.  Would make very good chicken fried steak for a person who knows how to tenderize it right. The bones would make good soup. Lotta waste. Might have to put the pencil to it. Brisket would be cheaper over the long haul.

Last edited:
The term "prime rib" has nothing to do with the grade of the carcass.

Even the USDA allows the term "prime rib" for any grade of carcass.

It is a marketing ploy.  Any reference to the term "prime" in the name only loosely means that it comes from what some consider a "prime" area of the carcass.

Having said that, yes, it does come from the rib section where roasts are often more correctly called a "standing rib roast" which denotes the section of the carcass it is cut from.  Rib numbers and all that, but they do matter.

It will still be a good cut of meat, but a good cut of meat within the actual grade of the carcass.  In these days that means "select", "choice", or actual "prime" carcass grades.

Supermarket meat is usually "select"grade unless they proudly let you know it is "choice" or the rare supermarket "prime" grade.

But the grading comes from the carcass rather than the name of the cut on the package.

In any case it is a good cut of meat from that particular grade of carcass, and I would buy it at that price and enjoy it!

Good luck and good smoking.

Last edited:

The term "prime rib" has nothing to do with the grade of the carcass.

Even the USDA allows the term "prime rib" for any grade of carcass.

It is a marketing ploy.  Any reference to the term "prime" in the name only loosely means that it comes from what some consider a "prime" area of the carcass.

Having said that, yes, it does come from the rib section where roasts are often more correctly called a "standing rib roast" which denotes the section of the carcass it is cut from.  Rib numbers and all that, but they do matter.

It will still be a good cut of meat, but a good cut of meat within the actual grade of the carcass.  In these days that means "select", "choice", or actual "prime" carcass grades.

Supermarket meat is usually "select"grade unless they proudly let you know it is "choice" or the rare supermarket "prime" grade.

But the grading comes from the carcass rather than the name of the cut on the package.

In any case it is a good cut of meat from that particular grade of carcass, and I would buy it at that price and enjoy it!

Good luck and good smoking.
Venture,

Thank you for the detailed explanation, much appreciated.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky