Quarantine Brisket!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sky monkey

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Sep 7, 2015
Western Oregon
I did some day drinking on Friday which led to me passing out around 6pm which then led to me waking up at 12:30am pretty rested so I thought it'd be a great time to start that brisket in my fridge. Had to buy the brisket back from my non-profit organization as all of our events got cancelled I usually cook for (picked up 1 of 3 briskets and 1 of 2 New York strip roasts so we didn't have to eat those costs) It was about 3 1/2 weeks past the pack date so I figured it'd be a perfect time to smoke it.
It was just a smidge over 16lbs. I coated it with yellow mustard before the rub of CBP, crushed sea salt, paprika, GP, OP, a little cayenne and brown sugar and I always like to sprinkle a little Tony's Cajun on there as Tony never does me wrong (Thanks Tony!)
Let it sit on the counter for an hour while I stabilized the smoker at 230F (stayed between 220-240 for the first 8 hours)
Injected it with 1/3 olive oil, 1/3 beef stock, 1/6 Jim Beam Black and 1/6 pickle juice with a little juice from the minced garlic jar thrown in for good measure. Never used olive oil before, usually use a butter based injection but I didn't have any ready and didn't want to shoot hot butter in the cold meat.
Into the smoker at 1:30am. I was still awake for the next couple hours to get the smoker really dialed in. The 4 probe inkbird allows me to go to sleep without much worry. The alarms will definitely wake you up if something goes awry.
This one took longer than most. It wasn't at 203F IT until nearly 4pm and oddly enough the flat was at 198 when the point was at 203. I did find out the back of my smoker is 20-25 degrees colder than the front of my smoker on the middle rack. I think that's why when I do 2 racks of ribs one is always juicier than the other. I rarely use multiple smoker temp probes but I will make it a habit for sure now. Once I learned that I flipped the brisket 180 (leaving the fat cap down) to stabilize the internal temps.
I did have about a 45 minute lapse of judgement and my smoker climbed to 280F about an hour after I wrapped for the stall that may be the cause of my next statement.
As you'll see in the bend test it was a little more done than I wanted. 203 has always been the magical number for me but this time I wish I would of been able to feel the "jelly-like" feel the pros use. The taste was great though and a little Au Jus fixed the few pieces that weren't as juicy as I'd like.

Bonus pic at the end is the chili I made with the brisket and some ground venison I took out of the freezer (plus a little bacon and Italian sausage) with some homemade bread I did for the chili.

Hope you enjoy the pics!

Rubbed
Brisket 1.jpg
Smokin'
Brisket 2.jpg
Ready for wrappin'
Brisket 3.jpg
So pretty it needed another pic
Brisket 4.jpg
What happens when I let my wife take photos
Brisket 5.jpg
Rested for 1 1/2 hours in a cooler before this- time for slicin'
Brisket 6.jpg
Slicin'
Brisket 7.jpg
Bend test was not as I hoped.
Brisket 8.jpg
Brisket 9.jpg

Sunday brisket chili and fresh baked bread
Brisket 10 chili.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good from my screen. How was the pull test?

Point for sure
Chris

I pulled it into my mouth just fine Chris! I don't think I ever did a pull test on brisket, do you mean like pulled pork?

When you pick up a slice hold it with two hands and give it lite tug. It should break in half easily.

Chris

When you pick up a slice hold it with two hands and give it lite tug. It should break in half easily.

Chris
Thanks for the Point Chris and PA Cowboy!
Chris, it pulled apart very easily. As long as I slice cross grain the pull is always tender at 203. Iit nearly fell apart but was a little dry in some of the flat to my taste. Still a success in my mind but can improve for sure.

Day drinking led me to BBQ, needed an excuse to stand around with a beer all day! Brisket looks great.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky