Put on smoker straight from refrigerator???

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I noticed that folks worship that smoke ring.. Do you get good smoke taste going straight from refrigerator to smoker?--or do you think it matters? Thank you for your reply

If you put around 40 degree meat into the smoker rather than 65 or 70 degree meat it stands to reason the longer it takes in the smoker to get to a certain internal temperature the more smoke flavor it will have. Some people will try to tell you the meat stops taking in smoke at around 140 degrees but that is not correct the smoke ring stops forming but it will take in smoke as long as smoke is applied.

I find no benefit and in the case of Poultry...Sitting on the counter, in a 90°+ Kitchen, is asking for trouble. If I am Dry Brining meat, I will let that sit out for an hour...JJ

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
When I do brisket, I pull it from the fridge, unwrap, trim, and rub it as my coals and fire are getting started and stabilized. It ends upon close to room temp.

Aaron Franklin warms beef to room temperature. He feels it gives a more even cook.

My room temperature brisket turns out pretty good. Here's one I did a few days ago. :emoji_slight_smile:

View attachment 472208
Beautimus !!!!!!!!!!!! WOW!

Reactions: Displaced Texan
I don't see how a large cut of meat could ever hit room temp in 3-4 hours, I have always fridge to smoker with only a stop to put a rub on, always great results, and if you like rare steaks DONT LET the STEAKS come to ROOM temp. the goal is to keep the center from cooking so keep it cold as possible, for a more uniform temp thru out bring to room temp

Yep, fridge to smoker with a stop off for some rub. No reason to let it warm up, especially the larger pieces. If it takes an hour in a 225+ degree oven for the inside to get to room temp, then sitting on the counter in ~75 degrees means nothing but bacteria growth on the outside unless you have salt on it to inhibit the growth.
For steaks that are only an inch thick... that's another discussion entirely.

See below for my last butt smoke. More importantly, you can see going from 40 to 80 degrees was about an hour.

Pork Internal Temperature.JPG

Yep, fridge to smoker with a stop off for some rub. No reason to let it warm up, especially the larger pieces. If it takes an hour in a 225+ degree oven for the inside to get to room temp, then sitting on the counter in ~75 degrees means nothing but bacteria growth on the outside unless you have salt on it to inhibit the growth.
For steaks that are only an inch thick... that's another discussion entirely.

See below for my last butt smoke. More importantly, you can see going from 40 to 80 degrees was about an hour.

View attachment 472510
Thank You!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky