Put it on and leave it.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

thegoodsmoke

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Florida
I've read quite a few forums about pork butts and I haven't read of anyone just putting it on and leaving it. I plan on putting a small one on my smoker in the morning and taking it off after I get home. Is there a problem with this? No spritzing no wrapping.

I just did my first butt on saturday.  Put it on and left it go the 9.5 hrs.  turned out great.

Awesome, got it rubbed up and sitting in the fridge for 6am. I'll have to show the wife how to add a few chips after an hour or so.

You should be fine, most take anywhere from 1.5-2.5 hours per pound to reach the proper internal temperature (for pulling i like mine to hit 205*) when your smoke chamber is at temps of 250*-265*. Do you have a good digital thermometer? Have you calibrated it and checked the MES? All things I'd do before an unattended (I know your wife is there) cook. At around hour four it is a good idea to probe the meat and see what the IT is. It should be above 140*. At that pint leave the probe in and when it hits 205* take the meat off the smoker, wrap in foil and let rest for 45 minutes to a hour, then pull and enjoy!

If you were to get the AMZN smoker.. the smoke will last until you got home from work (about 10 hrs of smoke) without having to add chips....

Where would I put the AMZN in the smoker?

You should be fine, most take anywhere from 1.5-2.5 hours per pound to reach the proper internal temperature (for pulling i like mine to hit 205*) when your smoke chamber is at temps of 250*-265*. Do you have a good digital thermometer? Have you calibrated it and checked the MES? All things I'd do before an unattended (I know your wife is there) cook. At around hour four it is a good idea to probe the meat and see what the IT is. It should be above 140*. At that pint leave the probe in and when it hits 205* take the meat off the smoker, wrap in foil and let rest for 45 minutes to a hour, then pull and enjoy!

I have a therm, and every is set. I'll come home at lunch to check the IT. The butt I got is only 5.5-6 lbs should I still cook it at 250+? Will it cook too quick?

What smoker do you have?

My 8 lb butt took 9.5 hrs at 250+.

I've not got nor have I used an electric.. but from reading all the MES users post.. the AMNPS is the only way to go.. thinking they put it down in the bottom some where.. just use the search bar and you'll find hundreds of threads about the use and placement...

Do not open the door, its an electric and it does take additional time to rebuild the smoker temperature. It won't need any mositure or shouldn't, I have done a butt really low and slow  with the smoker at 220 degrees for 22 hours, I pulled it at 204 IT and when it came out it was like shreding butter. You don't need to do it this low and slow for a great pulled pork. I was just playing like it was the olden days.

You do not have to run a continous smoke. Even Jeff has said that at temperature the meat loses its ability to take on more smoke. 100 to 140 degrees being the optium for smoke. A continious smoke is what fire burners do because they are continously opening the pit and moping or spritzing or saucing trying to help the moisture. They have to replace that smoke constantly.

You have a locked down gasketed door and for the most part the only way the smoke and moisture can escape is the top vent assembly. Leave it about 1/2 open to start then regulate the vent to maintain a slow near clear smoke. This means your smoker is running at max. efficency. White smoke a Guru here will say, has no taste. LOL

30 to 45 mins to a load, do not over load, after about 3 loads you must remove the tray and dump it. More smoke is not always a good thing. Yes in the long run you'll want to try an aux. smoke generator, but for my 2 cents I would look into a remote sensing thermometer first. That way you can insure two things while learning, that you will not make anyone sick, and that everything you mess up will still be delicious to dispose of..... OOne of the nicest things about a electric smoker with that remote temp sensor and an AMNPs is you can sleep all night.

Remember, keep the door shut. I have heard its a 15 min loss everytime you open the door, 4 times add an hour to cooking.

PS no foiling will increase the cook time, foiling is supposed to help with the stalls you will see when you get a thermometer. But if you've got the time, no foil is really needed, its just another handy helpper. You should also see a better bark this way too. But if you want that butt for supper, I'd foil to make sure.

Good luck and don't worry, enjoy the smoke.

Last edited:
As an MES owner myself I highly recommend getting the AMNPS - you won't regret it. I also recommend this thread http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/...0-new-pictures-for-attaching-elbow-to-mailbox  One last thing - you always want your exhaust vent wide open when using your MES.... Don't forget to post pics if possible & enjoy your butt 
smile.gif

I threw it on at 0630ish, and headed to the gym. Came home and showered added a little more wood and left it. I didn't open the door and it won't be open until lunch when I check the IT. The smoker was running about 250 even though the digital on the somker said 265. Good enough for me. I left the vent about 3/4 way closed though, we'll see what it looks like in a few hours.

IT is already at 179. Hope it doesn't go too high for the next four hours. I might have to come home and wrap it in foil in a cooler until dinner.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky