Push Pulled

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

four20

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jan 21, 2016
Laurens S.C.
Well I know I said last week I was going to try to do a lamb roast, but due to a change in plans of my work schedule my Saturday was extracting 5000 sq ft of dining room carpet. As I am primary operator You can say my right arm is sore. So when I got home last night I found the wife had bought a half a pork loin for some reason.... We have like 10 lb of bone in pork chops in the freezer. So I pulled a single pork shoulder from the freezer and dunked in the sink while I slept to thaw. Unfortunately I slept till noon and so my time is limited. So this will be a push / pull smoke, but first the daily chores.
20221204_123309_HDR.jpg
So while the wife is rubbing the meat and coating with Alaga I am doing daily chores.... Firewood....
20221204_123258.jpg
Daily fight with the mule......
20221204_124657_HDR.jpg
But once back from the barn she already had them slid into the pellet pumper.... Yes I finally bought one. Yes if you remember me royal oak hardwood lumps has always been my go to. So we are going to smoke these at 250f for 2 hours and then raise temp to 350f for approximately 3 hours. Now I know... I know... I can already hear it..... but just wait and see. I have done this before and this will not be the last time. More pics to come as the day moves forward. I'm looking forward to some good food and a brandy or two tonight as i set back and heal.

First off, 5000 sq foot dining room carpet. Big dining room. Must be commercial room.

Now as for the mule, looks like he wins more often than lose, looks determined. lol

I am in for the finish of the cook/smoke

David

First off, 5000 sq foot dining room carpet. Big dining room. Must be commercial room.

Now as for the mule, looks like he wins more often than lose, looks determined. lol

I am in for the finish of the cook/smoke

David
Yes the room seats 400 people, and yes the mule.... Well we got him from a rescue center and was told he was a grown donkey at 600 lb.... Vet came out and said no he is a baby mule.... He is now around 1300 lb and kicks like a..... He is just a big spoiled baby.

So we are 2 hours in and now to push the temp to 350f. Great color on both. I will start monitoring IT also. Now with this style cook I will wrap the loin in foil here in about an hour. This is not for chops but to break down into the shoulder meat to help absorb the fat so that I get a fluff pulled pork that does not have that greasy feel to it, so I will take it to a higher temp ( 180 f )than I normally would a loin section.
20221204_143422_HDR.jpg
Ohh and on a side note I am bottling some fresh pear cider that has been fementing since October. What do you do when a neighbor gifts you 200 lb of pears?

Last edited:
All right here we are. Loin half hit 160f so its wrapped and back in the smoker and the shoulder is at 120f. Once I get it to 160 I will wrap it.
20221204_153034_HDR.jpg
Also adjusting the ph of my pear cider. Its in the bottle filler and ready to begin bottling. Busy day.....

Reactions: DRKsmoking
We are now at close to 6 hours in the smoker. 2 hours at 250f and 350f remainder of time. the Loin has been off and resting for a little while and the shoulder is now at 165 and wrapped to push through the stall.
20221204_174209.jpg
Yes I am still enjoying some of the remaining cider that was left over from bottling. In 30 days it will be fully carbonated and ready to drink. I have 1 more fermenter full of cider I hope I can get bottled next week.
20221204_172928.jpg
Great news.... the more I bottled the less pain i feel in my right wrist...

As the world turns.... Shoulder is at 180f and holding...... Every one in the house is hangry and I don't have the heart to tell them it still has to rest.... Yall pray for me in these times. It is 7:12 pm .... You can only push pulled so fast so always remember plan ahead and don't sleep in....
20221204_123252.jpg
Hard to believe this barn is more than 100 yrs old, and still serving this old farm.

Reactions: JLeonard
As the world turns.... Shoulder is at 180f and holding...... Every one in the house is hangry and I don't have the heart to tell them it still has to rest.... Yall pray for me in these times. It is 7:12 pm .... You can only push pulled so fast so always remember plan ahead and don't sleep in....
View attachment 650276
Hard to believe this barn is more than 100 yrs old, and still serving this old farm.
It'll be worth it!

We are coming down to the sweet sweet end. I have shredded the loin and added apple juice concentrate and some seasoned salt.
20221204_193443.jpg

The shoulder has now hit 185f and will rest wrapped.
20221204_193651.jpg
Its dropped to 160 so im gonna remove its blanket and allow it to rest until around 130f.
20221204_200903.jpg
They will be shredded and tossed together. Seasoned with apple juice concentrate and salt.
Its safe to say a push pulled pork in this manner will take 10 hours properly.

Last edited:
So sorry to disappoint, but The shoulder has been blended with the loin half.... We ate what we wanted and Vacuumed sealed the bounty in 2lb batches for enjoyment over the next few weeks. I get better results packing my pulled pork in zip lock bags and then vacuum sealed bags fresh. Just thaw completely and re-heat. Ohh the pear cider is to blame for no final pics.

Attachments

• henry.jpeg
    henry.jpeg
    100.7 KB · Views: 3
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky