Punked Porchetta and PBBEs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chilerelleno

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
I had plans to cook a Porchetta this weekend, but I got screwed over by the meat clerk.
I specifically asked for a whole pork belly skin on, and what did I find when I got home?
Yep, the dagblasted skin had been removed.
How can a guy cook a Porchetta without crispy skin?
He can't, Grrrrr! :mad:

So what the hell, I'm gonna do a bastardized version sans skin and see how it comes out.
I bought all the fresh herbs that I don't have in my garden, so I need to utilize them.
Fresh fennel, sage, garlic and lemon, the rest I have.
The only ingredient I could not find was fresh pork liver, guess I can live without it.

The other half of the belly I cubed for Burnt Ends, I know I'll get some satisfaction from them at least. ;)

So here we go with today's smoke.

Menu
Punked Porchetta
PBBEs
Sauteed Asparagus and Onion
Tomato/Mozzarella/Basil appetizers
Apple and Pear Slab Pies

Punked Porchetta

1 skin-on Pork Belly
1 Pork loin
Fennel fronds and seed
Rosemary, thyme, oregano, sage, crushed red pepper, black pepper, salt
Pork liver (optional)
Olive oil
Butchers twine
Trim fat and membrane from half a pork loin
Trim pork belly to fit wrapped around the pork loin
Score the skin of the pork belly, do not cut into the meat
Rub pork belly with salt and then air dry in the fridge for at least 12hrs, 24hrs + is better, this is to help in turning that skin into cracklings
Pull pork belly from fridge, flip meat side up and salt, then spread with minced garlic
Finely chop the herbs/spices and spread atop pork belly
Place pork loin in center and wrap pork belly around it, truss tightly with twine (about every inch or less)
Brush lightly with olive oil

Okay, here is where recipes go all over the place, 'How to Cook It'
Traditional Italian, rotisserie over open fire
Various oven methods, hot then slow, slow then hot and etc

But I'm smoking it, so here is how I did it.
Fired up the smoker to 275°-300° with hickory
I also preheated my oven to 500°
Cooked this to an IT of 145° and then moved it to the oven and crisped the outside
Note: Don't worry about overcooking the loin, it is wrapped in that fatty pork belly and will not dry out.
I got the fat layer to an awesome color and crunch with a beautiful juicy burst of flavor in every bite

Herbs and Spices
jZldjcM.jpg

qHvVOyI.jpg

r7NthJJ.jpg

uHued9W.jpg

Down goes the loin
f3nrVNt.jpg

All trussed up
bZKhI5x.jpg

Out of the smoker and headed for the 500° oven
4N3IlZ0.jpg

Finished
NNw6tIT.jpg

HIIEsiD.jpg

The Grand Finale/Slices
wSC3RVK.jpg

2DndEYl.jpg

Pork Belly Burnt Ends

Cubed pork belly
Pork rub
BBQ sauce
Honey
Butter

Cube the pork belly and cover in rub
I like to bag it overnight before cooking
Fire up the smoker to 250°-275° with hickory
Smoke cubes till nicely tender and colored
Then pan and add, BBQ sauce, honey, butter and rub
Cover and return for about an hour
Then uncover, stir and let'em go another hour

VOpuBFm.jpg

ItfcE4s.jpg

KduXmOx.jpg

ym7cLzw.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice!The difference between out of the smoker to out of the 500* oven is AMAZING! Who knew all those weeds would grow!?

Continuation

For appetizers/side I put together some Tomato/Mozzarella/Basil drizzled with a Balsamic Glace.
These were a hit and I had to refill the plate 3-4 times
5uD1V2X.jpg

Then sauteed some Asparagus and Onion in butter.
(no pics)

A dessert was called for so I made some Apple/Pear Slab Pies.
I practically had to stand guard on these before dinner
OOUoLSv.jpg

hSvF6sa.jpg

7GcdQ7V.jpg

NZwigWG.jpg

4Py384U.jpg

Way to think on the fly, looks like it paid off. Just one more thing to add to my list. That appetizer and dessert look killer! I wouldn’t turn a bit of that spread!

Way to think on the fly, looks like it paid off. Just one more thing to add to my list. That appetizer and dessert look killer! I wouldn’t turn a bit of that spread!
Thank you kindly.
I cooked that just like I'd if'n it was skin'on, I need the practice.
My family says I have to cook two more slab pies tomorrow.

Thank you kindly.
I cooked that just like I'd if'n it was skin'on, I need the practice.
My family says I have to cook two more slab pies tomorrow.
I bet! Send me one while you’re at it! I’m on my mobile so it’s hard to tell, but is that a puff pastry that you used for the crust?

Well Chile that is a double quadruple ++++ Like !!!! I have been wanting to do one for awhile. Timing just has not worked out in my favor yet and when it does there is too much to do. It is on the list especially after seeing yours. Love the caprese and the desert as well. Mmmm Mmmm that is a carousel worthy combo IMO.

Well Chile that is a double quadruple ++++ Like !!!! I have been wanting to do one for awhile. Timing just has not worked out in my favor yet and when it does there is too much to do. It is on the list especially after seeing yours. Love the caprese and the desert as well. Mmmm Mmmm that is a carousel worthy combo IMO.
Thanks Charlie, really do appreciate the comments and Like.
The Caprese was almost as much of a hit with the adults as the dessert with the kids.
Everything looks great! You got a room for rent. I'd be moving in!
Thanks... No Vacancy, sorry.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky