Punked Porchetta and PBBEs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
WOW!!
What a fantastic meal!
Everything looks absolutely delicious!!!
Great work, I bookmarked this for further use!
And congrats on making the carousel!
Al

I knew you'd make it a success John, damn that looks good.

Point for sure.

Chris

Amazing as always! Definitely on my list to try. Seems like one heck of a way to cook a loin and not worry about it being dry.

Do you think there would be any major different in time, temps, etc. if it had the skin on it?

WOW!!
What a fantastic meal!
Everything looks absolutely delicious!!!
Great work, I bookmarked this for further use!
And congrats on making the carousel!
Al

I knew you'd make it a success John, damn that looks good.

Point for sure.

Chris

CR, Wow , You need to open a restaurant ! likes

Chile you knocked that one out of the park,great looking spread POINTS
Richie

Amazing as always! Definitely on my list to try. Seems like one heck of a way to cook a loin and not worry about it being dry.

Do you think there would be any major different in time, temps, etc. if it had the skin on it?
Thanks guys, thank you very much for the compliments and Likes, y'all are great.
Much appreciate the ride on the Carousel too, always an honor to get up there.
After my initial dismay and !^*@, I just proceeded as if it had the skin on, and it turned out pretty good.
A long day in/out of the kitchen, but well worth it all.
Thanks again, really appreciate it.

petehalsted petehalsted
There isn't much difference in the initial smoke time, the big difference would be in the oven time it takes to get the skin turned to cracklins.

crazymoon crazymoon
Restaurant? Ya gotta be Crazy, then it'd be work!

petehalsted petehalsted
Ya know the more I think about it the more I believe that the increase in oven cooking time for craclin skin it may prudent to pull from the smoker at 120' or less.
And even if I lower the smoker temp to increase the amount of smoke time, will it make a difference in the oven? That is to say, will the smoke flavor burn off the skin when it turns to cracklin?
After all smoke penetration is minimal at best.
Hmmmm?

Chile I got a plan for ya,

Send me skinless one, one with the skin done the same way, and then adjust the pulled IT and do another one.

Once I get all 3, I will put my scientific mind to work, and send you back a spreadsheet with the results.

Heading out to the mailbox to wait, now....

Nothing yet, you got a tracking #? .....

But seriously I have played with trying to get cracklins while its still in belly form, without an oven in the RV and it is tough to do. I have posted a video a couple of times of a guy that uses a jaccard tenderizer and does them in a weber on an angled rack, I tried it with my portable smoke hollow propane, but created a football skin instead. I tried using my MAP torch, and ended up with a bowl made out of a burnt football, with porkbelly on the outside. Getting cracklins right, takes just the right dryness, temperature, and time, so I can imagine how difficult it can be to get the perfect pulled IT, but if anyone can do it, I am sure you can, and I will be watching for the results when you do.

Yeah Pete,
cracklin pork skin can be challenging.
Keys:
Dry, 24+ hour air dry
Salt, thick crust of salt to pull out moisture
Baking Powder, rub a light layer into the skin, chemical reactions help it crisp easier and faster.
High Heat, 475'-525' in the oven.

I've experienced failure several times in the oven with cracklin skin, like chewy epoxy sticking to my teeth.
60:40, I need to improve my success ratio to at least 80:20

What a great post. You really have a knack of making your foodies look terrific. Nice looking meal!
Thank you Jeff, very kind.
I try hard to stage good pics and presentation.
I enjoy the staging and photos almost as much as the cooking and eating.
Now if I could just make a living doing it.
But I don't wanna talk about the complexities of food blogging.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky