Pulled pork tenderloin?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Dirty Steve

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Apr 15, 2021
Hello everyone. So, as the title says can you or has anyone tried to do pulled pork tenderloin? I’m not even sure it is possible. Maybe it’s to lean and not enough fat. We have one of those Kirkland packs with tenderloins in there and thought I could do one pulled and one regular in the smoker if possible. So smoking meat forum brain trust what do you think?

Attachments

• A4A9A9D1-3AA3-4C5F-AC3C-F4877AF5EF8B.jpeg
    A4A9A9D1-3AA3-4C5F-AC3C-F4877AF5EF8B.jpeg
    121.6 KB · Views: 23
I've done it with left over tenderloin. Doesn't pull as easy as a butt tho. It was kind of like shredding a chicken breast.

I believe it's possible. However you'll have to overcook the tender to shred. If I was going to attempt this I think I'd smoke it for a while(maybe till almost done 138*). Then put it in an a covered aluminum pan with some type of liquid and cook until 200*. The overcooking and braising should make it shredable. It will definitely need some type of finishing sauce. I'm not making any promises, but that's how I'd go at it. If you give it a go. Let us know the final results and how you went about it.

Chris

Hi Steve!
If I was going to try that with a Pork Tenderloin, I would try about what Chris gmc2003 gmc2003 said above.
However I would much rather get a Pork Butt or some other Pork Roast for the pulling @ 200°, and save the 2nd Tenderloin to Smoke another one to 145° & sliced for a couple tender meals.

Bear

Reactions: gmc2003
that label is confusing
is it a pork loin or a pork tenderloin ?
i can't imagine either being good pulled
Pork, beef, lamb, or any other 4 legged mammal, real tenderloin comes from the loin so the labeling is being specific as to it being pork and tenderloin...

I can't say that I've done it with a tenderloin but I have with a straight up pork loin and it was good.

With the weight, my thinking is a whole loin. Maybe consider smoking to a lower temp 145, then slice thin for sandwiches?

I would have to guess this is a "Pork Loin".
It's been a long time since Pork Tenderloin was $2.69 a pound.
5 pounds would be about a half of a whole loin, and before the pandemic hit, you could always get Pork Loin for under $2 per pound. Pork Tenderloin was quite a bit more than that.
So nowadays if you put 2 tenderloins in a bag to get it up to 5 1/2 pounds, you better have a lot more than $15 in your wallet.

Bear

Reactions: 1MoreFord
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. i Can see where the label can be misleading. My wife bought two of these in Jan thinking she was buying two. Upon opening the first one they come two to a pack. I searched in the search bar to see if anyone had tried pulled tenderloin. Nothing. That’s why I thought I’d ask.
At this point I think I’m going shelf the pulled idea. Instead I’m going to season one with a sweet rub and the other with a spicy rub. I’m going to try bacon wrapped for the first time with these.

Reactions: BigW.
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. i Can see where the label can be misleading. My wife bought two of these in Jan thinking she was buying two. Upon opening the first one they come two to a pack. I searched in the search bar to see if anyone had tried pulled tenderloin. Nothing. That’s why I thought I’d ask.
At this point I think I’m going shelf the pulled idea. Instead I’m going to season one with a sweet rub and the other with a spicy rub. I’m going to try bacon wrapped for the first time with these.
Try injecting with Creole butter, or Creole garlic. You will be rewarded.

Hello everyone. So, as the title says can you or has anyone tried to do pulled pork tenderloin? I’m not even sure it is possible. Maybe it’s to lean and not enough fat. We have one of those Kirkland packs with tenderloins in there and thought I could do one pulled and one regular in the smoker if possible. So smoking meat forum brain trust what do you think?
I've done pulled pork with a tenderloin in the crock pot before. I used a can of coke (or any other pop), cooked on low for about 6 hours. Drained the liquid, shredded it, added my bbq sauce, and cooked on low for another hour. I have never had any complaints.

Reactions: SC Grillmore
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky