Pulled pork chili ideas

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Thomas The Tank

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Mar 24, 2018
Valparaiso, IN
My church is having a chili cook off next month and I’m looking for ideas for a chili using smoked pulled pork. I googled and saw all the variations - red, white, verde. I won the last one I entered a few years ago with a “traditional” red chili, so not sure if I should follow that and just used PP instead of ground beef?

Just wanting to see if there are any opinions if one style is better than the other. Thanks!

Jcam222, I’m with you and do a very similar chili. I use some Mexican Chocolate as it contains cinnamon. I can’t help but think pork would also be great but I’m not sure about pulling it. Maybe a lower temp post smoking so it won’t spread then cube it and a light coating of masa and fried before going in the pot with the other goodies? I would think a light fry would help hold the smoke flavor in the meat since you’re competing with all the chills but would still be very tender. I need to try this next time I buy a butt.

Reactions: chilerelleno
What if you did a pork butt cooked not quite to pulling point and chopped it. Then add that to your chili. It might hold up a little better. Or cube the butt before smoking then you get more cust/ bark flavor.

Yeah I thought about smoking it to ~190 where you can still “pull” it but keep bigger chunks. Also if time allows I would smoke the pork before, pull/chop then refrigerate. Cubing then smoking is an idea too, and sure it would go faster. Would probably put in a pan after a few hours to keep it from drying out.

I'm another advocate for cubing your meat and I too also use chocolate and/or brown sugar.
And I like a traditional chile with no tomatoes, straight base of chiles for the sauce, but I do from time to time add a puree of Rotel.
I'll usually roast and chop some onion, bell pepper and garlic for color.
I don't simmer for long periods, I like having the distinct flavors.

For an actual competition definitely find out if your judges have personal favorites, and what the chiles will be judged on.

At my church, our annual chile cookoff is sometimes done by majority, tickets are given to everyone and they vote for each category by putting their tickets into the boxes.

Reactions: Thomas The Tank
I've made all types of chili but nothing satisfies my chili craving like a red chili with beef. The beef I use is cubed brisket point. The tender mouth feel of brisket point chili is addictive.

So if you're in it to win it, go with what people expect and give them something memorable. If you're wanting to be different or unique and don't care about winning, have fun with whatever suits your fancy.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky