pulled pork butt pull temp?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

saltysandman

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jan 1, 2018
SFla
hello pitmasters,

doing another butt today. got a late start but i'll be up late. i know there's a huge spectrum on techniques. Low and slow vs. fast and furious. I'm going 225 the whole way this time around.

Wanted to get opinions on pull temps? 190 too low, right? i'm thinking of going 203-205 to let all that beautiful fat render and collagen break down. Im also going to wrap for a couple hours after pulling in a beach towel and rest in my insulated box (feels weird calling it a "cooler"). I know after pulling from heat, that temp will still go up.

so, basically, any revelations on pull temps?

1 hour in

Attachments

• smoked PP low and slow.jpg
    smoked PP low and slow.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
attached a picture. how do i embed into thread though? do i need to upload pic to a third party site and link?
yes, plan on wrapping once it hits 160.

attached a picture. how do i embed into thread though? do i need to upload pic to a third party site and link?
yes, plan on wrapping once it hits 160.
In the message box, next to the smilie face icon in the header, click than and upload your picture from your computer or phone....

yes, the icon that looks like a mountain and sun. i click that then it asks for a URL. image is saved on my computer.

View attachment 385861
here's the final product. wrapped at 160....turned out to be 155 in middle. transferred to preheated 275 oven till i pulled at 205 IT. wrapped in beach towel and put in my insulated hot box (cooler) till this morning.

all in all, 11 hours of smoke/cook time and 6 hours in hot box. a little finishing sauce and voila!

Last edited:
1 hour per pound @ 250 degrees. 8 pound butt for 8 hours with good fire management will put the internal right at the 205 internal mark about every time unless you don't keep a close eye on your fire and the temps drop way below the 250 mark. I realize stick burners differ but this is the way my Bayou Classic does it 95% of the time.

I agree on the 200° to 205°.
Unless I want to slice it---Then it's more like 190° IT.
And I usually wrap mine at about 165°.

Bear

Reactions: saltysandman
thank you all for confirmation. will pull at 203-205 and i'll let you know how it goes.

1 hour per pound @ 250 degrees. 8 pound butt for 8 hours with good fire management will put the internal right at the 205 internal mark about every time unless you don't keep a close eye on your fire and the temps drop way below the 250 mark. I realize stick burners differ but this is the way my Bayou Classic does it 95% of the time.

using my MES so temperature mgmt is easy. :emoji_sunglasses:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky