Puerco Pibil to PP Achiote Stew

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bauchjw

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Aug 3, 2015
Alexandria, VA
This has been a fun cooking weekend, trying something new again. I mostly followed chilerelleno chilerelleno recipe for some outstanding Puerco Pibl, thank you John, and shout out to BrianGSDTexoma BrianGSDTexoma for some follow up questions! John, “Chili’s” recipe is below, highly recommended! I pretty much followed it, but toasted cumin seeds, cloves, and whole cinnamon then into a grinder for fresh toasted seasoning flavor. Chili’s recipe is So, so good, amazing flavor and a crowd pleaser when you peel apart the banana leaves to shred that bright red pork!

These were done for tacos at a big get together, I also did the Surf N Turf egg rolls for the event…. This time with a squirt of lemon bmudd14474 bmudd14474 , you're 100% dead on, that made all the difference! But, because it was so busy I didn’t get a plate shot of the tacos. Sorry!

A ton of food, great time and eating, Only had two pounds of this delicious pork left, I stumbled on noboundaries noboundaries pulled pork tortilla soup and figured, why not? So, using Chilis Pibil pork, and noboundaries soup as a base I ended up making a “Pulled Pork Achiote Stew” This was awesome!
First the Puerco Pibil, marinade overnight.
4E74D09C-CCB5-4154-A43A-EC8532B21975.jpeg

next day into a tray with banana leaves, I found these at a Mexican Mercado nearby where I also tracked down the Achiote paste….I used the paste over the annatto powder.
EF6E7EF1-AB19-4D3A-9141-F98904072CB4.jpeg
171119B7-173E-4A33-9DBA-CEB94CBF7681.jpeg

wrapped up with a cup of water in each tray.
EC8CE150-AEE2-4A17-87E9-0815BFF6A5F8.jpeg

Then onto the pellet rig at 275. Big, Big shout out to Steve H Steve H for the AMAZN Tube! It works awesome and it’s very appreciated!
4A63D742-EC02-4983-916B-FA4758126E56.jpeg

They came out ready to fall apart. Fell apart in the juices and marinade!
E76926AC-FC76-4D79-BC8C-E6BE154298EE.jpeg

This is when the chaos of grown ups, kids, music, food, and beer was starting to hit a 5 hr crescendo….sorry, no plate shot.
The next day…..Achiote stew….
EVOO with onion, garlic till fragrant. Then black beans with liquid. Followed bu
35BEA1F5-EF2D-4516-93E4-EEB084364678.jpeg
909B910F-CC9A-46E6-B37A-D681CE80368F.jpeg

Then 6 cups of water and 4 chicken bullion cubes. Followed by the leftover pork and the bone. I didn’t put any other seasoning in because the pork had so much already!
62043BC3-7BA4-4EAA-A110-114F7C5261AD.jpeg

I tinkered a bit, some vinegar, diced green chilis, and a little chipotle adobo sauce. Wish I would’ve had some jalapeño !
1E731C49-13B4-4644-85FB-E61E8D9DF4D4.jpeg

Served up with some sour cream, tortillas and cilantro! My only regret is I forgot the pickled red onion id
4BB9CA8A-AE29-4A73-BB10-4DF5395F2AF3.jpeg

AF7D3E17-5FD0-461D-B61B-85201685E323.jpeg

Good food! Thank you for your time and all the inspiration here!

Attachments

• 348418A1-797C-441F-A06A-5779EEE26167.jpeg
    348418A1-797C-441F-A06A-5779EEE26167.jpeg
    103.4 KB · Views: 11
Glad to hear that the lemon made a difference. The rest of this looked killer as well.

Reactions: bauchjw
Man you just hit that out of the park Jed!
That whole meal looks amazing!

Ryan

Man all that looks and sounds fantastic Jed. I knew as soon as I read the title that Chile had a hand in this :emoji_wink: His original thread was very inspiring as well as being beautifully presented. Well done sir!!

Robert

Man this is straight legit fire right down to the banana leaves. Amazing.
Thank you Jeff! I appreciate it!

Very nice Jed, that looks phenomenal!
Thank you Justin!

Dammit man... That all looks freaking fantastic!
Thank you Chili! You gave a great recipe and a lot of fun to research and explore for the right ingredients, Mercados are a little more difficult to find in Northern Virginia than San Diego!…even the ingredients themselves took some research, Achiote verse Annatto powder, etc. I appreciate your time and effort putting this one out and hope you try the stew if you do this again and have some leftovers. It is very tasty.

Looks amazing! Nicely done!
Thank you Steve!

WOW, that is spectacular!
Awesome!!!
Al
I appreciate it Al! Thank you for your time!

Glad it worked out. Looks phenomenal!
Thank you Brian! I appreciate the help!

Wow Jed everything looks amazing!
And I'm sure a good time was had by all with that meal !
Keith
Thank you Kieth! We had a great time and the weather cooperated, hard to beat for a spring get together!

Jed , again you have made a fantastic batch of food.
Great food and friends , maybe some adult beverages . Good times
David
Thank you David! It is definately what it is all about! All you guys here just help make it that much better!

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Wow!! Jed the stuff you have been putting out lately is just off the hook (don’t sue me Guy Fieri!)

Excellent looking food that I’d love to sit down to, nicely done!

Man all that looks and sounds fantastic Jed. I knew as soon as I read the title that Chile had a hand in this :emoji_wink: His original thread was very inspiring as well as being beautifully presented. Well done sir!!
Robert
Thank you Robert! 🤣He does have a niche here that is extremely inspiring. It’s deliscious and a lot of fun to do!

Heck yeah Jed. My mouth is literally watering. Nice work bud
Thank you Jake! It’s a great recipe to go at! Unique flavor, but very comforting.

You had me at banana leaves, what a flare! Great piece of work, everything looks wonderful! RAY
Haha, those banana leaves are the best! definitely a crowd pleaser! Thank you RAY!

Wow!! Jed the stuff you have been putting out lately is just off the hook (don’t sue me Guy Fieri!)
Excellent looking food that I’d love to sit down to, nicely done!
Thank you for the compliment, I won’t tell Guy! I appreciate the support and the creativity from you all here, it definitely makes these a lot more fun to confidently go after!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky