Proper way to cook Brats? Maybe?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DanMcG

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 3, 2009
Central NY
I came across a good looking recipe for Sheboygan Style brats that I might try, but what I found interesting is the cooking method, using beer, butter and onion. I've done then in beer and onions but the butter sounds interesting. So I was wondering how does everyone else cook theirs?
Here's a link to the recipe;
food52.com/recipes/24157-sheboygan-style-brats

And here is the blog with real nice pictures and a good read, but with the usual annoying ads.
https://food52.com/blog/8506-sheboygan-style-bratwurst

If I get the time this weekend I was going to try out Martins (diggingdogfram) "Wisconsin-Wannabe Bratwurst" recipe and I'll give this a try

Dan, That cooking recipe looks good, I'm a steamed in beer person for cooking brats. Making brats this weekend sounds like a good idea!

Reactions: JC in GB
I've done the butter before and we liked it. I think you'll find that the butter adds more flavor to the onions than the brat itself. Makes for a real good topping to your brats though.

If I made the brats I would not do them WI style and just gently brown them to enjoy their mild flavor. That said, WI style IS good but I would just use store bought for them. I use butter in mine. Stick of butter, add a whole sliced onion some garlic, saute, deglaze with beer, add drained can of kraut, and brats into a warmed crock. Gently poach a long time. Many recipes call for too much beer, I use just enough to cover as I like mine to reduce. Later, sear on grill, add onion and kraut redux from crock, and then add some good mustard.

Reactions: Razyr Sharpe
I came across a good looking recipe for Sheboygan Style brats
I ran across that several years ago , and use it for reference . Good info .

I've used a cast iron pan on one side of the grill with butter and onions . Brats on the other half over coals . Fill the pan with beer when the onions cook down and add the sausage . Let them ride in the beer 'til someone wants one .

My Dad always cooked Bratwurst indirect , with a chunk of apple wood over the coals . They were fantastic . Never split a casing . Never saw direct heat . Had to watch that first bite .

I also saw Martins recipe . Sounds like a good one .

I only cook Store Bought Brats & Sausage (Fresh & Smoked).
And after using every "Quick" tool I own, Frying Pan, Gas Grill, Toaster Oven, Show Time Rotisserie, and Hot Air Fryer, I found both of my Hot Air Fryers do by far the best Job on all kinds of Sausages.

Bear

There are many ways to do brats AND there are many brat styles. If you wanna go down the rabbit hole: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bratwurst

Some guys swear they are awesome smoked. Main thing is that many people don't know how to cook them. chopsaw chopsaw yep, indirect heat, at least at first. Right onto a hot grill they are just a mess. They split, fat out, grease fire, outside charred, inside raw.

One thing I am dying to try soon is, brat burgers. Never heard of them until recently. Main reason I am excited about it is that I can make a bunch of small batches and try different stuff. High on my list is: https://www.meatsandsausages.com/sausage-recipes/fresh/german/nurnberger-bratwurste

Saute onions in butter then add the brats with enough vegetable or chicken broth to cover and slow simmer until done then a fast sear to finish. Freeze the stock for the next time and add to sauteed onions to add to the depth of flavor. Add additional stock as needed. Bring old stock to a boil before adding brats.

Barry

Reactions: DanMcG and JC in GB
My favorite way to do brats Wisconsin style is to simmer the brats in a beer, butter, onion mixture until brats are done. Then pull from the heat and leave in the cooking juice overnight in the fridge.

Next day grill gently until the brat is heated through and the skin is nicely browned all around. Low heat does best for this.

Also, use a full flavored beer for this. Bud Light or Coors isn't going to do it.

Add some kraut and some Dusseldorf style mustard on a hearty brat bun.

You will have the tastiest Wisconsin bratwurst ever!

JC :emoji_cat::emoji_cat:

Last edited:
I like simmering the brats in beer then browning on grill. Use just enough beer to cover, whole quartered onion, a couple of peppercorns and several crushed garlic clove segments.
After much testing, Old English 800 is my favorite beer for brats. I don't drink Old English as I prefer my homebrew, but it has a flavor that goes well with brats, especially my homemade ones and is cheap enough to use plenty for cooking.

Reactions: JC in GB and DanMcG
I like simmering the brats in beer then browning on grill. Use just enough beer to cover, whole quartered onion, a couple of peppercorns and several crushed garlic clove segments.
After much testing, Old English 800 is my favorite beer for brats. I don't drink Old English as I prefer my homebrew, but it has a flavor that goes well with brats, especially my homemade ones and is cheap enough to use plenty for cooking.

I agree with you that OE 800 has the right flavor for brats. I think it is the maltiness. IMHO

Anyway, Wisconsin beer brats with kraut is one of my favorite meals. YUM-O!

That's it I am hitting up my local Karl Ehmer butcher and getting some brats for the weekend. I will try the simmer in beer method posted but I really want to open a bunch up and make a fattie with sour red cabbage or sauerkraut on the inside.

Bear how did you cook them in the air fryer? Mine has the option of shelf, rotating basket or rotating skewers?

For me it's brats of the store bought variety. I like to cook them indirect on the grill and then pop them into the pan of sauteing onions and green peppers in butter.

Chris

Reactions: JC in GB and DanMcG
I'm like Chris above. I've done the beer/onion/butter thing, but prefer indirect heat in a large pan on the grill while drinking the beer. The Italian in me throws onions and red bell peppers in the pan to roast and caramelize. The skin of the brats stays intact and browns nicely, holding in all that juicy fat. I did some a little over a week ago. Dang, I think my plan for something light this weekend just flew out the window.

I'm like Chris above. I've done the beer/onion/butter thing, but prefer indirect heat in a large pan on the grill while drinking the beer. The Italian in me throws onions and red bell peppers in the pan to roast and caramelize. The skin of the brats stays intact and browns nicely, holding in all that juicy fat. I did some a little over a week ago. Dang, I think my plan for something light this weekend just flew out the window.

Flew out the Window???
Couldn't have been Beef or Pork---Must have been a Chicken!

Bear

I am surprised I didn't see anyone talk about cooking the brats in beer (usually two beers) until the beer cooks completely down and you get that thick syrupy goodness and roll the brats in it--the onions would be a nice touch.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky