Proper storage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gator325

Original poster
Oct 11, 2015
What is the preferred method for storing Jeff's rubs? I usually make a double batch to have plenty on hand.
I usually store the mix in shaker bottles with lids in my freezer.
Is it better to just keep in on the shelf with my other seasonings?
Freezer or spice rack?
How long is it good for when stored?
Thank you for many happy meals.

Not sure about Jeffs but think for the most part a cool dark space is suffient, whether in a spice drawer, we have spice rack on the inside of our pantry door where I keep my rubs and a bunch of other larger containers of spices.

When I make batches, about half will fill 2 or 3 small (4oz) Ball canning jars (two lids on each ... a solid one on top and a second underneath I drilled holes in to make a shaker in each), and I vacseal the balance. Just keep all in the pantry. Batch usually lasts maybe 2 months.
Ditto for a few other mixes I make (Meatheads Memphis Dust, Red Hot & Blue rub, pastrami seasoning, prime rib seasoning, etc)

I store Jeff's Original Rub in a Tupperware type of container in the freezer up to 6 months.
The Texas Rub I keep in a similar container in a cupboard with my other spices.

Mike

Hey Gator most spices are listed as 6 months then toss.

Warren
Not sure if funny or sad ... when we cleaned out my mothers kitchen, she must have had some spices born before me. Also had many many multiples of the same - like 4 of the huge containers of cayenne pepper - probably forgot she had and kept buying more.

Of course, she passed on the hoarding and CRS (can’t remember $xxx) genes :emoji_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Reactions: HalfSmoked
I've always had a problem with my onion and garlic powders getting hard. I did an internet search and found that keeping them in the freezer eliminated the problem because the freezer is the dryest place you can put them. Also, brown sugar has a tendency to get hard and/or lumpy. Since Jeff's rub has sugar and, I don't remember now, but probably onion and garlic powder, I decided to keep all of those spices and blends in the freezer and see how well it works. I just did this about a week ago, so I'll update in about 6 months and let you know if it worked.

Reactions: MJB05615
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky