Proper probing of a pork shoulder with large bone

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Neo

Fire Starter
Original poster
Sep 12, 2018
20180915_174618.jpg

Smoked this 9.2 lb beauty this weekend but had trouble getting around the bone to probe it.
I don't like going in this way but had no choice at it's thickest. It turned out fine by the way, one of best.

Do the best you can into the thickest part but dont touch the bone,grab the bone and wiggle it to see if it will pull out is a easy test

Reactions: jokensmoken
I agree with Mike243...when the bone wiggles freely and feels like you could pull it right out, your roast is done. I havent probed for doneness in years...
But it's a "feel" that comes with experience.

Walt

Reactions: humdinger
I've started boning butts to save time... seems to work for me... split them in half... less cooking time...
2 butts in the smoker last week...

002.JPG

^^^^^^^That's Slick Dave.

Neo, sitting as above, probe from the front or the money muscle side, opposite from the bone...JJ

Thanks for all of the replies, I appreciate it.

Hi Neo!
If you're capable of slicing it in half, like Dave mentioned, Go for it.
However if you just want to stay clear of the bone, I like to stick it in a little beyond center, then wiggle it around a little, and then pull it back until the tip is in the center.
As to finding center, I like to hold the probe along the outside to see where center is. Then mark where the outside of the probe would be with my fingers, and push it in until it gets to that spot. That's hard to explain, but I put my fingers on that spot, and when I push it in my fingers hitting the outside of the butt will tell me it's now in the center.
I hope that makes sense to somebody other than me.
And I hope I'm still Cracking you up.:emoji_sunglasses:

Bear

Reactions: chef jimmyj and Neo
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky