• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Proper probing of a pork shoulder with large bone

Neo

Fire Starter
Joined Sep 12, 2018
20180915_174618.jpg

Smoked this 9.2 lb beauty this weekend but had trouble getting around the bone to probe it.
I don't like going in this way but had no choice at it's thickest. It turned out fine by the way, one of best.

mike243

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 25, 2018
Do the best you can into the thickest part but dont touch the bone,grab the bone and wiggle it to see if it will pull out is a easy test

jokensmoken

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Dec 7, 2016
I agree with Mike243...when the bone wiggles freely and feels like you could pull it right out, your roast is done. I havent probed for doneness in years...
But it's a "feel" that comes with experience.

Walt

daveomak

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 12, 2010
I've started boning butts to save time... seems to work for me... split them in half... less cooking time...
2 butts in the smoker last week...

002.JPG

chef jimmyj

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined May 12, 2011
^^^^^^^That's Slick Dave.

Neo, sitting as above, probe from the front or the money muscle side, opposite from the bone...JJ

Bearcarver

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
Hi Neo!
If you're capable of slicing it in half, like Dave mentioned, Go for it.
However if you just want to stay clear of the bone, I like to stick it in a little beyond center, then wiggle it around a little, and then pull it back until the tip is in the center.
As to finding center, I like to hold the probe along the outside to see where center is. Then mark where the outside of the probe would be with my fingers, and push it in until it gets to that spot. That's hard to explain, but I put my fingers on that spot, and when I push it in my fingers hitting the outside of the butt will tell me it's now in the center.
I hope that makes sense to somebody other than me.
And I hope I'm still Cracking you up.:emoji_sunglasses:

Bear

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.