Propane leak

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

PolishDeli

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Oct 9, 2018
One of those small propane tanks sprung a leak.
If I don't move it, the leak stops. If I agitate it, I hear it hissing.
What's the correct course of action?

So i'm understanding it leaks without being attached to anything?
If it's one of the small camping type cylinders, I'd put it on whatever you use it for, run it dry then refill or replace it. I have one I've been refilling for years and it does the same thing. I just keep my torch attached to it and use it for lighting pellets.
Other than that, they are not repairable.

Reactions: Fueling Around
If it's one of the 1 lb cylinders, I'd bleed out the propane and throw it in the garbage.
Why not connect it back up, check for leaks then, if there's none, continue as normal until the propane is used up? From wham I'm reading it leaks when disconnected from any appliance, so If it's connected and doesn't leak it will be safe to use.
It more than likely has a bad Schrader valve and needs to be discarded. I'm not arguing that. But I'de use up whats in it first.

Why not connect it back up, check for leaks then, if there's none, continue as normal until the propane is used up? From wham I'm reading it leaks when disconnected from any appliance, so If it's connected and doesn't leak it will be safe to use.
It more than likely has a bad Schrader valve and needs to be discarded. I'm not arguing that. But I'de use up whats in it first.
I get was you're saying, but if it's a questionable 1 lb canister, it needs to sit next to my neighbor's cat.

Last edited:
What I read it is probably the small pressure relief valve offset from the CGA600 or 1" throw away main connection.
I'm with pit 4 brains pit 4 brains and if the main connection isn't the source, just connect to something and burn it off. Probably stop leaking after a bit of usage, too.
DO NOT DISPOSE a full or partially full propane tank in common refuse or metal recycling.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky