Propane grill recommendations.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JCAP

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jun 12, 2019
Allentown, PA
Hey all,
Hope the social distancing is going well and that everyone is holding up and is safe.

The other day I went out to clean my 8 year old Brinkmann 5 burner and she's a goner. Some rusted out holes that seem newish and the burners aren't lighting on the right side. I noticed that they were finicky last summer but thought I could get through another season. But I think I'm going to bite the bullet and get another gas grill.

I have a few that I have my eye on, with a budget of around $500 or so. These are the three that I am considering:

1. Weber Spirit II-E. I could go either 210 or 310 model. It's only three of us in the house regularly and if we have people over I use my charcoal toys. But I could see the benefit of the extra burner.
2. BroilKing Baron 320
3. And just because I love playing with fire, the Oklahoma Joe's Charcoal/LP Gas/Smoker Combo

Does anyone have any input on these three? Or am I missing a killer propane grill? I feel that I could get any one of them and be incredibly happy. But advice is always welcome. Thanks!

Reactions: Will Squared
I'm in a very similar situation with my old gasser grill. I'm considering a weber Genesis or spirit series with a side burner.

Reactions: JCAP
I have had the 310 spirit for 6-7 years now I think, need to redo the burners because of the cross light got rusted out because I replaced the burner covers with cheap ones. my fault not weber

I have owned a Genesis for over 10 years and its still works like day 1.

Hey all,
Hope the social distancing is going well and that everyone is holding up and is safe.

The other day I went out to clean my 8 year old Brinkmann 5 burner and she's a goner. Some rusted out holes that seem newish and the burners aren't lighting on the right side. I noticed that they were finicky last summer but thought I could get through another season. But I think I'm going to bite the bullet and get another gas grill.

I have a few that I have my eye on, with a budget of around $500 or so. These are the three that I am considering:

1. Weber Spirit II-E. I could go either 210 or 310 model. It's only three of us in the house regularly and if we have people over I use my charcoal toys. But I could see the benefit of the extra burner.
2. BroilKing Baron 320
3. And just because I love playing with fire, the Oklahoma Joe's Charcoal/LP Gas/Smoker Combo

Does anyone have any input on these three? Or am I missing a killer propane grill? I feel that I could get any one of them and be incredibly happy. But advice is always welcome. Thanks!
I replaced my Weber Genesis three summers ago with a Broil King Baron 440 and love it. Build quality is outstanding and it weighs a ton; is made in one of their plants in Tennessee or Ontario, Canada. Heat uniformity is excellent across the entire cook surface. I was fortunate to find one returned to Lowe's because the thermometer was missing and buyer returned it. Lowe's replaced the thermometer and discounted the price 25%. I jumped on it.

I've never had any pellet or propane stuff but I clicked on that OK Joe combo and it sure looks like a lot of neat stuff to play with, stick-burner, oven, stove all in one. RAY

I have an approx. 8 year old Broilking Baron 420 that I'm fixing to replace. Everything needs to be replaced so in my mind it's a good time to get a new grill and I'd for sure buy this same grill again. It's served us well. I got my money's worth out of it for sure. Lowe's doesn't offer them in store any more, don't know why? I've got my eyes peeled as well..........

Thanks all! It’s a tough decision.....more research to do for sure. But good to know that people like these grills.

Reactions: Will Squared
Check out the KALAMAZOO! At $20K it's only a few dollars more than a Weber...JJ

• Love
Reactions: civilsmoker
The Oklahoma Joe looks pretty cool....If it is built well. If you put some grill grates on the burner side it should cool real good....

As far as a recommendation, I haven't even looked at a gasser for a long while since I've had a Weber Genesis Gold for 17 years. Have rebuilt the burners two times and valves once now cause use it a lot! It will get a 3rd rebuild in the next year or so. I fully expect to get 20 plus years of service out of it!

PS the original propane tank will soon be a charcoal grill cause its almost up on re-certs....that's when you know you've gotten good use out of a bbq by the way.....

It took a lot of thought and research on my end. But I just couldn't get excited about a propane grill. Love charcoal too much.

So I picked up a 22.5in WSM. Lookin forward to playing with this thing.

Reactions: negolien
I'm sure that you will love that WSM JCAP. I have to say that my love for charcoal is complete. I can't imagine using propane again. My kettle is all the grill that I need for just the two of us and occasional company. If I were to go for something in the $500 range it would be that new 560 from Masterbuilt. All the bells and whistles of a pellet grill with the taste of charcoal + wood. I love that you can grill with it in about the same time that would a propane grill. The benefit of consistent lower temps means you can smoke on it. That's all of my needs met in one package. If I find myself wanting to replace my OKJ at some point then I will be looking at whatever the current model of that gill will be at the time.

G

Reactions: JCAP and negolien
Okay. I'm kind of an obsessive "out of the box" thinker. I've owned one gas grill in my life. It is now a defunct grill, but it stores my propane bottle and keeps my Camp Chef Pro 30 single burner stove out of the rain.

For about $300-$350, you could get a two burner Camp Chef Pro 60x, a grill box, and a griddle. You'd have a stove, grill, and griddle. It can be left up or stored out of sight. I'm not saying it's for you, but just something to consider.

I have an approx. 8 year old Broilking Baron 420 that I'm fixing to replace. Everything needs to be replaced so in my mind it's a good time to get a new grill and I'd for sure buy this same grill again. It's served us well. I got my money's worth out of it for sure. Lowe's doesn't offer them in store any more, don't know why? I've got my eyes peeled as well..........

Have you looked at CLA Grills for replacement parts?

I have a 27YO Falcon MK V gasser that they still supply parts for. It's far cheaper than buying a new grill. I have no interest in the company. I'm only a satisfied customer from original purchase to replacement parts.

BTW, Broil King is one of the few brands of gassers I'd look at buying these days.

Last edited:
Reactions: texomakid
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky