??? prior to first brisket attempt...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fatback

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 16, 2008
Atlanta, Georgia
The conventional wisdom here and in most recipes I have found seem to feel strongly about smoking a whole brisket versus a part of one. Well, I bought a brisket("flat cut" right at 5 pounds) before I knew any better, so now I must make the best of what I have. So, the question is this... what might I need to do differently with this smaller cut than I would do with a whole brisket? Obviously, the cooking time will be shorter. What other considerations?

From one Fatback to another, I don't feel like you need to treat them different, just the window of having it "just right" is smaller. Just keep a close eye on it when it is near done.

What Joe said... and don't trim it too tight...you need the fat on a flat... sometimes they are pre-trimmed too close. You want around .25 inch left on the meat.

Often times I have to cut briskets to get them on my smoker and I don't treat them any different you just won't have as much to eat when your done
biggrin.gif

I was forced to cook with flats last weekend because I couldn't find whole. The brisket placed in the middle of the pack. I didn't do anything different. Trim to 1/4 inch, cook at 225, foil at 160 with beef stock or beer, unfoil at 190, glaze it, sprinkle rub on it and put it back in until 200. Let it rest at least 30 minutes before slicing.

When you unfoil save the dripping and make a sauce with it. If using beef stock get low sodium.

-rob

PDT_Armataz_01_36.gif
I am such a new guy; but now I have done 5 briskets in 10 days. The next time they go on sale; Here I come. I just plain got lucky getting on this forum and reading. Someone said to take them up to such and such. Well, I got caught in some weather twice now and let me tell you; double-foiling and finishing in the oven works. I have had great smoke rings and taste. It seemed that the ones I trimmed the fat mostly off had the best smoke rings and taste. I bought a rub from the local Treager dealer's shop and rubbed them down with mustard and then put the rub on. Do it in a big pan or Aluminum foil tray. Then I plastic wrapped them for about 4 days in the fridge, brought them to room temperature before placing in the smoker going for 195 deg internal temp. I ended up finishing each one in the oven because of the rain, (or heat today.) After 6 hours of smoking at just under 200deg great results. Watch out for the juice; there is lots of it. Happy Smoke rings from Sedalia, MO and Semper Fi
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Yummy! Good luck, you have already gotten all the 411 on the size and how to trim the fat. I recommend using the foil pan it catches all the yummy juices, which you will use later for many yummy things...
Happy first brisket!!!

BBQG

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky