Prime Rib

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Publix is continuing their sale on "prime rib" another week so anyone who may have missed it and wanted some, you have until December 24 to get it at $6.79/lb here in South Carolina. I can only assume that it'll still be on sale in other states where the next week's ad doesn't start until tomorrow...

Thanks that's gonna make the wife give me the eye roll when I go buy more already got 4 cut a couple into steaks. If it's on sale still they must think I need more that's my story and I'm sticking to it :emoji_laughing:

Thanks that's gonna make the wife give me the eye roll when I go buy more already got 4 cut a couple into steaks. If it's on sale still they must think I need more that's my story and I'm sticking to it :emoji_laughing:
Me, too piney. I've already cut 2 4-rib roasts into steaks, vacuum sealed, and in the freezer along with the ribs sealed and frozen separately. I weighed my ribs and at $6.79/lb. including the ribs, it works out to about $8.77/lb. for the boneless ribeyes. Hard to beat in today's market and the next best price in South Carolina is $7.99/lb. for the bone-in rib roast. I may go buy one more and cut it between the bones for some cowboy cut steaks...

Reactions: negolien
My son and his girlfriend came to visit this past weekend. We were planning on going out to dinner, but then I figured why not grab a rib roast and make it. Well, it turned out better than that. Went to Publix and found that they also cut the roast into some 'steakhouse cut' 2 pound steaks (if you want to call them that). Grabbed 2 of them, 1 for each of the couples, and a nice 8 pounder that I cut into 8 steaks and about a 2 pound rack of beef ribs.

Finished plates were a 2 pound chunk cut in half, sauteed baby bellas and white mushrooms, baked potato, and home made ceasar salad.

Great dinner and a better option than going out, especially after all the martinis.

Attachments

• Steak.jpg
    Steak.jpg
    238.9 KB · Views: 26
  • Steak_Finished.jpg
    Steak_Finished.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 29
My son and his girlfriend came to visit this past weekend. We were planning on going out to dinner, but then I figured why not grab a rib roast and make it. Well, it turned out better than that. Went to Publix and found that they also cut the roast into some 'steakhouse cut' 2 pound steaks (if you want to call them that). Grabbed 2 of them, 1 for each of the couples, and a nice 8 pounder that I cut into 8 steaks and about a 2 pound rack of beef ribs.

Finished plates were a 2 pound chunk cut in half, sauteed baby bellas and white mushrooms, baked potato, and home made ceasar salad.

Great dinner and a better option than going out, especially after all the martinis.
Looks dang good to me! Usually always better at home and definitely a lot less expensive plus more time with family...

For those of you that have Winn-Dixie, they also have their standing rib roasts on sale for $5.99

Went to Winn Dixie today and had to ask if they had anymore guy brought some out I grabbed 3 and then he told me there is a limit of 1 that didn't make me real happy. So while he was still standing there I put all 3 back he says people usually buy 1 take it out to the car then come back in and buy another until they get how many they want. I told him it's a bit farther to Publix but they have them for 6.79 or 6.99 and no limit and on top of that they cut them off the bone and tie them back on and honestly they looked better there as well. I now have 2 more 6 bone and 1 more 4 bone :emoji_laughing:

I'm debating going back to Publix for another one or two myself if I get a chance...

I'm debating going back to Publix for another one or two myself if I get a chance...

I probably should have bought even more heck it was cheaper than the 80/20 ground chuck well ok maybe not quite once you add up the bones and extra fat but close enough

Man wish i could find deals like that I just came from safeway 8.99 a lb for chuck 11.99 a lb for brisket 24.99 a lb for rib eye 7 a lb for whole chickens... I did see some SRF wagyu ribeye roasts but only 1 lbers lol 32.99 a lb.

Guess it's time to join the mob and just start filling up a shopping cart full of meat totaling no more than$800 and leaving LOL O.o. What great times we live in eh.....

• Sad
Reactions: Gonna Smoke
Late to the party, but here in NC both Food Lion and Aldi have bone-in for 6.99, Harris Teeter 7.99 (another buck for Angus). Always been able to get the butchers (at HT and FL) to cut/tie the ribs.
Still have a 4-bone in freezer I was going to pull out for Christmas, but think I’ll leave it there and cook a fresh one (and get the frozen one another playmate 😁)

Are we sure that it's "prime rib" and not a select grade standing rib roast?
Hell, if it’s actually prime, I'd toss everything in my freezers out and stock them full of prime rib for that price. I'm not a fan of the select standing rib roasts, they can be tough and a lot of that select meat comes from Mexico.

Hell, if it’s actually prime, I'd toss everything in my freezers out and stock them full of prime rib for that price. I'm not a fan of the select standing rib roasts, they can be tough and a lot of that select meat comes from Mexico.

They are "Choice" grade I plan to cut all but one of mine into steaks. With just the wife and I the steaks work out better. We actually sampled a couple of the steaks the other night hence why I went and got three more yesterday. Choice standing ribeye roasts for about the same price as ground chuck is a good deal in my mind

Reactions: forktender
No, not Prime grade. Publix, Food Lion, and probably Winn Dixie sell USDA Choice grade. Some grocers such as Lowes Foods in my area, do sell Select grade. "Prime Rib" is mostly a misnomer these days, but has become the accepted standard name for bone-in rib roast, standing rib roast, E-Z Carve rib roast, etc...

I'll have to try some out, they will have a big sale after Christmas, you just have to get to the store early before they sell out.:emoji_thumbsup:

No, not Prime grade. Publix, Food Lion, and probably Winn Dixie sell USDA Choice grade. Some grocers such as Lowes Foods in my area, do sell Select grade. "Prime Rib" is mostly a misnomer these days, but has become the accepted standard name for bone-in rib roast, standing rib roast, E-Z Carve rib roast, etc...
Correct. Cut is a rib roast, prime is a quality classification.

more than you probably will ever want to know:

[and yeah, most everything I see in the grocer chains is Choice … mid-grade, and pretty good (though I see differences store-to-store)]

• Haha
Publix is continuing their sale on "prime rib" another week so anyone who may have missed it and wanted some, you have until December 24 to get it at $6.79/lb here in South Carolina. I can only assume that it'll still be on sale in other states where the next week's ad doesn't start until tomorrow...
not "prime" but good for two of. sorry for bad pictures, not doing the SPG until tomorrow
IMG-3031.JPG

Attachments

• IMG-3032.JPG
    IMG-3032.JPG
    164.3 KB · Views: 17
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky