Prime Rib

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Not sure if Krogers extended their sale but I picked up a nice 13lb bone in rib roast for $6.79 a lb the other day. Believe it was swift brand in the cryo will have to look again.

Thanks for the Intel. Working out of town so carried my cooler and picked one up for $55 and saved $56! Just wish I had room for one more

Reactions: Brokenhandle
I just picked up two at FoodMaxx for $4.99 per pound.

Oh, I asked the meat packer, they aren't butchers at these stores any longer, if it was USA raised beef or beef branded "American Beef" that is imported from Mexico. And he said that it is imported from Kansas, I was glad to hear that, I wouldn't have bought it if it was imported from Mexico.

Thanks for the heads up guys.

Dan.

PS. If you guys have a Safeway store near you, they have bone in hams on sale for $0.95 per pound, I bought two 12lber's for the freezer. My freezers are maxed out now, time to start eating......LOL
Doing this low carb thing is crazy, I've been eating meat with every meal and also snacking on it between meals. I really can't believe that I've lost 20 lbs in such a short time eating as much food as I have been, it's completely bizarre too me, I'm eating something every two to three hours.:emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup:

I bought a whole roast here at a northeast chain. The price for choice was $6.99, but I'm apparently the first person to ever go into that store and use terms like cryovac and know what I'm talking about.

So he gave me an angus choice for the regular choice price. Saved about $40 total on the deal.

I know there are differing opinions about whether there's even a difference between choice and angus choice, but I'll take it!

Thanks for the Intel. Working out of town so carried my cooler and picked one up for $55 and saved $56! Just wish I had room for one more
I bet I could find room for your 1 more! Lol. Good thing I don't have a store like that around! I'd need another deep freeze, only have 3 and an upright. Ok so maybe I am a hoarder! Either that or join forktender forktender and eat meat at every meal and snack!

Ryan

Reactions: 912smoker
I just went back to Publix and picked up a 14ish pounder. Cut the steaks and saved the ribs for a smoke. I have no idea how those will turn out since they aren't short ribs. $96

Attachments

• 20211221_183156.jpg
    20211221_183156.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: Nodak21

As cold it is you can just keep it outside :emoji_laughing:

I just went back to Publix and picked up a 14ish pounder. Cut the steaks and saved the ribs for a smoke. I have no idea how those will turn out since they aren't short ribs. $96

Looks good that's pretty much what we've done. I have cut down the size of a couple of the rib sections for use in making soup and vacuum sealed them

Reactions: 912smoker
So he gave me an angus choice for the regular choice price.
Don't get too caught up in the whole "Angus" marketing gimmick. Here's an excerpt from one article about what is Angus beef...
Angus Beef vs. Other Breeds
All beef in the United States is inspected by the U.S. Department of Agriculture; this is mandatory and is performed for the reason of food safety. However, when it comes to determining whether the beef is Angus or not, it is the breeder's responsibility to prove to the USDA that the beef is Angus—and this is as basic as showing that the cattle's hide is at least 51 percent black. To be classified as Angus, the breed of cattle is legally determined by visual inspection only (known as its phenotype). There is no genetic testing done to say exactly which breed it is.

I don't like posting links, but here's where this came from...

Here's another article, but a simple internet search will turn up many more so check it out...

This is somewhat different when you start talking about an Angus "brand" such as C.A.B., or Certified Angus Beef, which was created in 1978 by the American Angus Association. Certified Angus Beef has some more standards other than being black, but the average person wouldn't be able to taste or tell the difference.

But I understand people's mindset and it can be hard thing to change...

...saved the ribs for a smoke. I have no idea how those will turn out since they aren't short ribs
Beef back ribs is what they are. Same as pork back ribs or "baby backs" as most call them.
Here's a good recipe...

They are also very good for beef stock used in soup...

Reactions: Ringer
Don't get too caught up in the whole "Angus" marketing gimmick. Here's an excerpt from one article about what is Angus beef...
Angus Beef vs. Other Breeds
All beef in the United States is inspected by the U.S. Department of Agriculture; this is mandatory and is performed for the reason of food safety. However, when it comes to determining whether the beef is Angus or not, it is the breeder's responsibility to prove to the USDA that the beef is Angus—and this is as basic as showing that the cattle's hide is at least 51 percent black. To be classified as Angus, the breed of cattle is legally determined by visual inspection only (known as its phenotype). There is no genetic testing done to say exactly which breed it is.

I don't like posting links, but here's where this came from...

Here's another article, but a simple internet search will turn up many more so check it out...

This is somewhat different when you start talking about an Angus "brand" such as C.A.B., or Certified Angus Beef, which was created in 1978 by the American Angus Association. Certified Angus Beef has some more standards other than being black, but the average person wouldn't be able to taste or tell the difference.

But I understand people's mindset and it can be hard thing to change...
Yeah, I'm not getting hung up on the Angus vs non-angus. Like I said, I've seen a lot of different views on it. A few years ago, I even asked one of the butchers at this store what the difference is and he just laughed, shrugged, and said "the price."

Regardless of that, a buddy bought one of the pre-buthchered Angus roasts to cut into steaks. They were far and away better than the choice steaks that usually come out of here.

I even asked one of the butchers at this store what the difference is and he just laughed, shrugged, and said "the price."
That would most likely be correct. The main thing that I try to point out to folks is that Angus is a breed of cattle, not a grade such as prime or choice, and does not guarantee any particular level of quality. Buy beef from grocery stores by grade, not breed or brand.

Now buying beef directly from a cattle farmer or rancher is a completely different subject...

Reactions: Brokenhandle
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky