Prime Rib & Ribeyes for the Year

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bearcarver

Gone but not forgotten RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Sep 12, 2009
Macungie, PA
Prime Ribs & Ribeyes for the Year

Thought I’d show you guys how I do it:

As we approached the Holiday Season, I was keeping an extra close eye on my Freezers, as to how many Prime Ribs & Ribeyes We had in stock. Thanksgiving & Christmas are 2 of the best times of the year for sales, so I watched closely around Thanksgiving Week. I wasn’t happy with our prices around here, so as much as I hated to push it off, I decided to wait for Christmas Week. If you don’t get some good prices by Christmas, the next chance isn’t usually until at least Easter.
Then Lo & Behold, during Christmas Week One of my stores had “Choice” Prime Rib for $4.76 a pound with a coupon (Limit 1).
So we got one nice Roast about 10 pounds, with bones in. We already had 3 Prime Ribs in our basement freezer. So Brought it home & I cut the Ribs off, with extra meat on the bones, and cut the rest in half to give us a Total of 5 Prime Ribs
* in stock, in the area of 4 to 5 pounds each without the bones. Then I cut the Bones into 2 sections to save for a big Beef Dino Smoke in Spring**.

Then a couple days later they still had that same sale, and we noticed we were almost out of Ribeye Steaks.
So I told Mrs Bear to see if she can get another Choice Roast @ about 10 pounds (Bone In).
She brought one home, and I cut the Ribs off, like I did before with Extra meat on the bones for the Big Spring Beef Dino Smoke
**. Then I took the Prime Rib Roast & sliced it into 10 Ribeye Steaks, a little thicker than an Inch each. So those 5 Prime Ribs* & 10 Ribeye Steaks should hold us until Christmas of 2020.

**Smoked Beef Prime Rib Dinos (With Extra Meat)

*Prime Rib Calendar (14 Smoked Prime Ribs)

Below are some Pics of what I did:

Bear

One Choice Prime Rib at about 10 Pounds (Bone In):
IMG_4520.jpg

Ribs removed & saved for Big Beef Dino Smoke in Spring:
IMG_4521.jpg

Second 10 pounder sliced into 10 Choice Rib Steaks for my Freezer:
IMG_4522.jpg

Looks like you have a pretty good stock going there. I did the same thing this past Christmas and got a nice rack of beef ribs to smoke now. Also like to buy the ribeye's whole like that and slice into steaks. Hard to beat ribeye for $4.76 a lb!

Those are some mighty fine looking steaks, Our Favorites

Gary

That's the way to do it . I have yet to buy a whole roast , but sure do look at them alot . I don't ever see a good price on them here .

Always nice when you can buy whole cuts or primals and cut them to your own liking. Your gonna be set for a while now!

Reactions: chopsaw
Wow what a killer price for Choice grade Ribeye/PR. Good looking steaks Bear.
How was your Check Out Coach? lol - I've never been that far....

Looks good, your set for a while. Just looked at them the other day. $8.24 / lb No thanks

Thank You Rider!!
Yup---5 Prime Ribs should last us about a year, and 10 Ribeyes should last a year too, since I only make one at a time, and we share it between us.

Bear

that's some good looking steaks there bear, great price. be sure only to bbq them when there is a southern wind so I could at least smell them.

Looks like you have a pretty good stock going there. I did the same thing this past Christmas and got a nice rack of beef ribs to smoke now. Also like to buy the ribeye's whole like that and slice into steaks. Hard to beat ribeye for $4.76 a lb!

Thank You John!!
I've been doing it this way since I started Smoking my Prime Ribs (2010).
And the Best Price I ever paid was FREE, back in 2011.
About 10 pounds of Choice Prime Rib for FREE !!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Christmas Week One of my stores had “Choice” Prime Rib for $4.76 a pound with a coupon (Limit 1).

Wow! I've never seen that price here locally for Choice grade Prime Rib. I would have been going back there daily!

The cheapest I can remember is Choice grade for $5.98/lb and I stocked up. I watched this year but the prices never dropped below $6.98/lb for Select, and there was zero marbling so I passed. Choice was a dollar more per pound, but I can get nicely marbled boneless rib eyes on sale for that or less.

Alas, no Prime Rib or Cowboy steaks in my freezer this year. Maybe Easter.

Those look really good John, but what's a "Check out coach required"

Chris

That's the way to do it . I have yet to buy a whole roast , but sure do look at them alot . I don't ever see a good price on them here .

Thank You Rich!!
Yup---Other than the 2 or 3 Holidays, our Ribeye/PR prices are usually $8.99 or more.
Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Wow what a killer price for Choice grade Ribeye/PR. Good looking steaks Bear.
How was your Check Out Coach? lol - I've never been that far....

Thank You Randy!!
No Comprende "Check Out Coach".
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky