Prime Brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mossymo

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
May 30, 2007
Glenburn, North Dakota
12 pound packer brisket, trimmed off 4 pounds of fat and separated the point from the flat. Injected and rubbed, smoked with apple and cherry.

zhGfSp.jpg

-----

Very happy with the end results, loads of flavor!

5mvwuS.jpg

-----

Muj3sM.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Mossy looks delicious.
Point for sure.
Chris

I cook or smoke a lot of brisket but am not a butcher. What I would like to know is the difference between a flat and the point. I have looked at many pictures and descriptions but still unsure. Can someone kindly show me a picture of whole with a line or cut as to separate the brisket. Many thanks. Piker

Piker this link may help: http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/a/brisket-separation-technique

Chris

Reactions: mossymo
I cook or smoke a lot of brisket but am not a butcher. What I would like to know is the difference between a flat and the point. I have looked at many pictures and descriptions but still unsure. Can someone kindly show me a picture of whole with a line or cut as to separate the brisket. Many thanks. Piker

It's two different muscles, the grain runs in different directions with connective tissue and fat between them. The flat is more lean than the point. The point is more fatty and has a lot of collagen which when cooked to 200*+, starts to break down into a gooey gel than makes the brisket moist.

Thank you very much. That exsplains it very well. I was doing it wrong for a long time. I have a son in law who gives me all his briskets to do so now I have a new idea to try. Thanks again

What would be the purpose of separating the point from the flat when smoking a brisket?
For some people they want to do it because the brisket is to big for the smoker and they can use 2 racks. The 2 sections cook at different rates because of thickness and fat content. You can wrap one and leave the other alone to keep cooking.
Some people do the 2 at different times. Maybe freeze the point for another day.

You get more bark on the 2 pieces if you do them separate..

What would be the purpose of separating the point from the flat when smoking a brisket?

My wife and I enter a few cook offs per year that our total cook time is limited to 9 to 10 hours from start to turn in. Cooking two smaller pieces pf meat is quicker than one large piece of meat, so were basically just playing with temps and practicing. This brisket was 275º for 3 ½ hours, butcher paper wrapped and back on at 250º for hour and a half till the probe was sliding freely at 203º.. Rested 4 hours before slicing.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky